Are aftermarket power cords required to be UL / CE approved?

Lots of folks are making and selling aftermarket power cords. In the US are these cords required to be UL or CE approved?

 Wondering about the ramifications of using unapproved cords. Am I liable if someone gets shocked, could my home owners policy deny a claim if they determine a non approved cord started a fire?
doltwithlife has asked an excellent question. I'm surprised that nobody has suggested that he simply write an email to the manufacturer to ask.

I am considering getting an aftermarket cord for my Krell amp and until now I never considered this issue. I don't have a single 120V appliance in my house that uses as much power continuously as my Krell (I don't use space heaters). Plus, the standard cord is pretty long. Now that I think about it putting a cord made in somebody's garage on this amp is probably not a good idea. Before I buy an several hundred dollar cord I am going to check to see if it is UL listed.

One more thing. I think the insurance angle is a complete red herring. Whether the insurance fights your claim or not, you still had a house fire. I burned up the kitchen once through sheer inattention and stupidity and trust me, even though the insurance paid the entire bill, it was very scary and a huge hassle.

Thanks for your response. I was hoping to hear from individuals with insurance experience or an industry person willing to go on record. 

As has been suggested, why not just ask my insurance carrier or the manufacture. Well, I don't trust that I'll get a straight answer from a manufacturer in isolation. If they are UL they are gonna tell me its required, if they aren't I'm gonna be told it isn't. 

When I 1st started getting better gear I contacted my agent to ask if I needed special coverage or was it covered already. They didn't know so contacted Gem State who covered me. I received a letter, yes covered, but they weren't "comfortable with the risk" so my policy wouldn't be renewed. Sooooo not really feeling the love for asking my agent anything.

New coverage didn't have an issue with having "a stereo that is significantly more expensive than the average homeowner". I just went with extra coverage on contents and was told to save proof of anything unusual I owned.


UL has listings for complete products (UL) ......
........and components (Ur) recognized, which means it must be used in a tested product - not by itself.

If you go to an electrical supply house and buy readily available high grade UL Listed cable & plug components - you can build your own cable...... as long as you've wired it properly. If these companies are using high grade components and proper build you should be fine.

FYI - most of the "audiophile" wall receptacles that sell for hundreds of dollars on line are rebadged Hospital grade receptacles. They provide a more secure connection. Start with this before you purchase cables.

Hope this helps