Bose 901 series VI & Yamaha A-S2000

Hi.
I'm a jazz mania who is interested in purchasing new audio system in a couple of months.

Currently, I'm considering Bose 901 (series VI) speakers & Yamaha A-S2000 integrated amp but not sure if the Yamaha amp will be a good match for the Bose speakers.
Also, I heard that Creek 5350SE will be a good one.
Can anyone recommend any good integrated amp (under $2,000) that can match well with the Bose speakers?

Or I would be glad if anyone can recommend good system (amp + speakers) for listening to jazz. My budget is limited to $3,500. Since I use my PC & a DAC (NuForce uDAC-2) to play 24/96 FLAC files, I don't think I need to buy a CD player for now. (I might need to buy a better DAC though.)

Thanks in advance.
henryjudy
I'm late to this thread and the decision has been made by the OP a while ago I'm sure. First time I heard the 901 speakers was way back before I was an audiophile probably 1969 or 1970. In any case they were the first speaker I "fell in love" with. You don't have to be an audiophile sitting in the sweet spot to love music, the 901's aren't at all about that. Great party speakers that play loud and work well in larger commercial venues where I often came across them rather that big PA speakers like Peavey.

Ok, Ok Bose is a marketing company and a clever one at that. I'd be the first to admit that the value to dollar isn't the best but to ME the 901 speakers, none of the other Bose stuff that I've heard/owned (the 501's which was the most regrettable audio purchase I ever made) were special but those 901's captivated me at a time and place long gone and you never forget your loves. I doubt it was marketing initially that had the public buying into the design. If like me, they liked what they heard and had the 450.00 or so to purchase them, they did. Unfortunately I didn't at the time or would have purchased them on the spot. Hearing them many years later in an audiophile type setting I asked myself, what was I thinking? It really depends on how you listen with the 901's. They get undeservedly poor marks along with the pompous vitriol spewed in their direction from what I would guess folks that never listened to them as intended, or never heard them at all. They are what they are but one thing they're not is audiophile speakers. But as someone mentioned above, they can be a lot of fun. Can't music be about that too?
@Vernneal: That would rather be an insult to crap. But then; everyone has their own own tastes.
I stick by my comment that Bose is a MARKETING COMPANY and has no serious speakers for critical listeners. In the 80s I had a pair of 901s which sounded like speakers in a tin can. I sold them and replaced them for JBL112s at the time. Currently I use B& W 802Ds for fronts and B & W CM10GBs for the rears. Crap would be complimenting Bose
Guys , I did two tweaks to a pair of these newer series 6 mk2 901's, these speaker drivers are a little different than the older series 901's. With these new speaker drivers they now use different lighter paper speaker cones and they now have plastic dust caps for better highs and they went back to using cloth surrounds again.

I started by taking some very fine sandpaper and going around all the paper speaker cones so the Elmer's carpenter wood glue would stick to the paper cones better. I used a very small art brush and put a very thin coat around the paper cones. I did not put any glue on the plastic dust caps and you have to be very careful not to get any glue on the cloth surrounds. I let the glue dry for 48 hours before playing any music. I waited 3 months before doing my wood stain tweak. I used Minwax wood stain and with this tweak I coated the paper cones and I also coated the plastic dust caps and on the back side of the speaker paper cones I coated that too and also coated the voice coils with wood stain too. I again waited 48 hours before playing any music. Now this part took over a year TO break-in so the voice coil wires would loosen up and then the speakers sounded much better. I next fine tuned the speakers to suit my taste better. It took three more coats of wood stain on the front side only of the paper cones and plastic dust caps before I really loved these speakers. Now these speakers sound amazing with the speakers turned around backwards, BEFORE these tweaks, I did not like them turned around backwards at all. Now these speakers have very nice highs and a very rich mid-range and a very good bottom end too. If Tone Audio only knew what was hiding inside these speakers. I have no idea what these tweaks would do to these older series 901's because they are so different than these latest series 6 mk2's. My QuickSilver GOLD tweak inside my Yamaha a-s2000 amp, has made it sound like REFERENCE GEAR now and that has made these modified 901's really SING like never before.
We used to pay a bit under 8 bucks for a pretty good replacement part. There is also a molded cabinet inside, the real magic of 901's is in the eq... and no, we never did any hard core mods... latex coating drivers, but thats all that I recall. I would suspect that Johnny's esimater is pretty close for dealer cost today.
The Parts Express 901 replacement driver is $18.75 ea. in quantity, less than 1/3 of what Bose charges for an OEM driver. So the drivers are probably worth around $10-11 each wholesale. The Parts Express drivers appear to have about the same build quaiity.

I'd like to see what you could get with 10 higher quality full range drivers in a different configuration such as a tower with 8 drivers facing forward and 2 facing rearward for ambience. The larger cabinet should provide better bass performance with less EQ, and the 80/20 ratio would provide better imaging with more direct and less reflected sound. You'd retain the advantages of the 901 with fewer of the drawbacks--crossoverless sound, large radiating surface, but with more optimized cabinet and more realistic dispersion pattern.

Many of the newer full range drivers have phase plugs, which should improve high frequency dispersion, though you'd probably want to angle the drivers somewhat to improve it.
"My real complaint no matter what, I've never heard great imaging... they will produce a soundstage, but proper image placement is non existent."

Timlub is right of course. If you turn any speaker toward the wall, no matter what else happens the imaging is pretty much gone. That fact is why, in my opinion, 901s are so controversial. What they do quite well, though, is accurately reproduce tonal balance. My frame of reference is that in my music room there is a piano and a set of drums. In addition there is a wide array of hand percussion instruments. The voicing of the piano is clearly delineated on the 901s. Many times it is necessary to look to determine if the sound is coming from the speakers or the piano. Another example is a triangle which has an amazingly complex progression of overtones. Listen to the real triangle, then listen to the playback and there is no appreciable difference. Cymbals are very difficult to capture and reproduce. 901s get this right too. Another observation, most performing musicians don't worry about sound stage, rather we worry about tonality, particularly being in tune with and in synch with our fellow performers. When the conductor wants to hear the balance of the entire ensemble, which happens before every performance during rehearsal, he or she invariably walks back from the stage to the center of the hall, or even further back. Again, the priority is on tonal balance. Imaging is just not much of a concern for the majority of musicians. In my experience, this is true irrespective of the genre of the music. Mind you there is nothing wrong with wanting good imaging from our speakers at home, any more than it is wrong to want to sit up front at Symphony Hall. It gets down to individual preferences. 901s do a lot of things right for me, but clearly they are not for everybody. I just wish people would quite bashing them for contrived and incorrect reasons.
"My real complaint no matter what, I've never heard great imaging... they will produce a soundstage, but proper image placement is non existent."

Timlub is right of course. If you turn any speaker toward the wall, no matter what else happens the imaging is pretty much gone. That fact is why, in my opinion, 901s are so controversial. What they do quite well, though, is accurately reproduce tonal balance. My frame of reference is that in my music room there is a piano and a set of drums. In addition there is a wide array of hand percussion instruments. The voicing of the piano are clearly delineated on the 901s. Many times it is necessary to look to determine if the sound is coming from the speakers or the piano. Another example is a triangle which has an amazingly complex progression of overtones. Listen to the real triangle, then listen to the playback and there is no appreciable differnce. Cymbals are very difficult to capture and reproduce. 901s get this right too. Another observation, most performing musicians don't worry about soundstage, rather we worry about tonality, particularly being in tune with and in synch with our fellow performers. When the conductor wants to hear the balance of the entire ensemble, which happens before every performance during rehearsal, he or she invariably walks back from the stage to the center of the hall, or even further back. Again, the priority is on tonal balance. Imaging is just not much of a concern for the majority of musicians. In my experience this is true irrespective of the genre of the music. Mind you there is nothing wrong with wanting good imaging from our speakers, any more than it is wrong to want to sit up front at Symphony Hall. It gets down to individual priorities. 901s do a lot of things right for me, but they are not for everybody. I just wish people would quite bashing them for contrived and incorrect reasons.
Timlub, Have you done any critical parts up-grades to the Bose 901's to great effect before?
Timlub - Would you be able to speculate about the parts cost in the 901s? And for now disregard the 60% bulk discount that Bose surely sees?
After I see your guess, I'll offer mine.
Hi guys, I've sat in front of 901's in a variety of settings... In the right room... (boundaries are important) with good equipment on them, they can be satisfying. My real complaint no matter what, I've never heard great imaging... they will produce a soundstage, but proper image placement is non existent... I'm not trying to argue with anyone that might have gotten good results with imaging, I'm saying that I haven't heard it... I've built and repaired speakers for 35 years, including a bunch of Bose, they are well though out, some well designed, some ok, but all made with crap parts. For the parts inside, they sound pretty good.
+1 Audiolabyrinth !..

Jeff Dorgay of Tone Audio kept the reviewed pair of 901's because he seen just how GOOD they sounded with GOOD REFERENCE gear like he has...

Now I'm not SHOCKED that in his review he did not tell everyone just how GOOD these 901's REALLY ARE! with Reference gear like his.. because he would never hear the end of it!...THE PHONE WOULD STILL BE RINGING OFF THE HOOK !!...
@ vernneal, I have seen $20,000.00 to $100,000.00 speakers that were crap!, whats your point?, for the retail cost of Bose 901 series two with version two EQ mated with good wires and electronics, It would be very hard to find better speakers at the asking price!
The new Bose series 6 speakers have a new and improved EQ, called the series six version two EQ, I have not heard this EQ, but I have been told it sounds better than the original, you will know by looking at one, the new one is made of less metal, the cosmetics look different, the new EQ does come with a brand new pair of Bose 901 series 6 speakers, I can imagine, as many hi-end out board cross-overs that are out there, you likly can get a cross-over that is alot better than the one that comes with Bose, sure like to hear some feedback from anyone that may have done this?,,cheers.
After improving my Yamaha a-s2000 with my QuickSilver GOLD TWEAK I now love my 901's even more so when you match these 901's with GOOD gear they really SING!

What did I do to my Yamaha amp?

Inside my amp I found out by closing those very small gaps between all those connectors inside my amp with QuickSilver GOLD contact enhancer improved the sound of my amp a lot!!!..

I first started by turning on the amp and then unplugging the power cable going to my amp and then waited 24 hours BEFORE starting this tweak !!!........

Next I took off all the connectors wires going to the transformer, amps and preamp and using a toothpick I coated all the connector pins on the circuit boards...I unhooked and coated each connector one at a time... you only want to put a little bit on the tips of the connector pins!..

Some of the connectors had already been soldered to the circuit boards...in my amp it was the darker color connectors...all the white colored connectors are NOT soldered to the circuit boards and do come off.

You do have to be VERY CAREFUL when removing these connectors because you can bind these medal connector pins very very easy!!! I bent two pins on the back preamp circuit board myself so you have to be very careful when removing these connectors!!........

The improvements I'm now hearing from my amp is got me wondering...Did I just found the "Holy Grail" of all tweaks here???!!!...

Before this tweak I was going to upgrade to the Yamaha a-s3000 but now I think I will just keep my a-s2000 until it dies or I die!.....and I will keep my BOSE 901's as my main music and Home Theater speakers too until they die OR I die!...

I had no idea what a AMAZING AMP was just hiding inside my a-s2000 amp!...

Tone Audio reviewed the 901 Series VI recently. The verdict? A lot going for 'em, especially at the $1400/pr retail.

Review here.
Mapman, The second half of the story is that I had two pair of Bose 901 series six, I put both pairs on the main system, The Krell 700cx before I got the amp modded. man, talking about the loudest system I have heard in my life,The 700cx has bi-amp post, I took advantage of that, the bass was kicking my guts thru my back!, like a fricken concert!, people rushed to my house, they said they heard it inside their house with their doors closed, Ha, He,he,Ha, Awsome!, I will not ever forget that either, cheers to you mapman.
I have a Bose 901 Lifestyle system (15 years old and still going strong) in a room with a Yamaha piano, a set of Gretsch drums and a plethora of percussion instruments, from bells to chimes, to guiros, and claves, and so forth. As a musician, and speaking to other musicians, the 901s are really great speakers. Their tonal balance is spot on. They reproduce the voicing of my piano with uncanny accuracy. Bells and chimes and cymbals the same. The overtones from cymbals are amazing. I have two different pairs of finger cymbals for example that have quite distinct tonality. Bose 901s reproduce their individual character amazingly well. I love these speakers and always have. They are not for everybody and they are not audiophile speakers, but they work well for a lot of people and have done so for many, many years. I am sure the Yamaha electronics would work very well with them.
Audiolabyrinth,

I think many people would be surprised how good things can sound when optimized/dialed in, even Bose.

I am not a fan of many Bose home audio products, but I suspect few have ever heard newer 901s mated with really good gear well and might be surprised with the results possible.

I have heard 901s and other Bose gear sound pretty good in some commercial installations I have heard, so I have to believe it is possible.
Guess what, about a year and half ago, I had some Bose 901 seris 6, Believe it or not!, I put a Krell Kav 300I intergrated amp on these, mated with Tara Labs-The one speaker cables and interconnects, spent hours finding the best speaker setup in the room that was being used, stood back, Wow!, these speakers sounded very good with some decent electronics and very,very good cables!, unfortunally, I had to sell the Bose and Krell to finance buying a Tara Labs Zero Gold balanced 1-meter interconnect with HFX grounding station, No regrets on the interconnect, but that sound of Bose 901's on a good setup will live in my memory as a huge upgrade for 901's!, I might just get another pair for the hell of it for a second system, and do that all over again, believe me, the 901's was quite a different animal, they seemed like they were not Bose anymore, a profound revalation with that setup, cheers.
I know this is an old thread, but I'm posting my 2 cents. BOSE 901 series is actually a decent pair of speakers. I currently own a pair of 901 Series VI. They hang in my dining room/kitchen area and reproduce music very musically with their unique ability to create a massive soundstage. I've also owned a pair of Series V's previously.

I also own a complete Klipsch KSP series for my living room home theater with a pair of KSP 400's for mains (with two 400W 15" built-in subs), dual KSP C6's for the centers and quad KSP S6's for the rears, as well as S3's for sides and 4 x RSX4's and 2 x SS .5's for ambiance channels and a rear channel sub as well. That makes for 3 subwoofers in my Klipsch Home Theater system. I love Klipsch's rendering of gut-wrenching rumbling and head smacking thunderclaps in movies.

I also own a pair of 6 Foot Carver Ribbons - The ALS III+ which are in my large master bedroom. I listen to those to please my ears with jazzy and instrumental music.

And I have a system in my garage with a pair of JBL CF120's to please my ears with garage jammin' music when I'm involved in my hobbies.

I purchased each type of speakers for the sound I wanted - not to appease the lame critics, most of which I don't care to please.

The 901's were not designed to be exceptionally accurate to the discerning listener, rather they were designed to be musical. And musical they are... exceptionally.

The 901's MUST be used with the matching and accompanied active equalizer, as the speakers do not have any internal crossover circuitry, which can limit its power-handling capacity. The voice coil circuitry can handle in excess of 35,000 watts, but of course the speaker cones themselves would be blown to smithereens with that kind of wattage.

The 9 drivers in each 901 are series-wired to handle enormous amounts of current. The crossover/active equalization circuit was placed out of the speaker box in an active equalizer format to affect and modulate the electronic signal BEFORE the signal entered the speakers. Very ingenious design, if you ask me.

Dr. Amar G. Bose made the 901's to fit within a specific dollar budget and at the same time to sound musical in its overall presentation, not necessarily tonally accurate as in a lab-environment.

Dr. Bose was a professor at MIT and he was also an avid musician when he embarked on his quest to manufacture a pair of speakers that reproduced music that sounded better than what their specifications would indicate. This was a direct result of him purchasing a pair of speakers based on lab-perfect specifications and finding they sounded terrible and not-at-all musical in the real-world environment.

After receiving a grant for the research of disparity in how speakers sound in a real-world environment as opposed to a lab-perfect environment, he learned that approximately 89% of all the music that reaches a listener's ears at a live performance were REFLECTED sound and only approximately 11% were comprised of direct-radiated sound. Hence, the 901's primary design parameters of 89% to 11% ratio of reflected to direct radiated audio from the enclosures.

As for the sound... let me just say that I have listened to MANY, MANY different types of set ups and I have found NONE yet, that quite match the 901's in the sheer SOUNDSTAGE they are capable of creating when set up properly.

The ENTIRE WALL behind the 901's become the soundstage, which I have yet to hear another pair of speakers in its price range (even up to 3X) to duplicate. And my friends, that is why I own a pair of 901's.
I see this is an 10 month old post, but for someone that may be looking for this same combination, you can not use the Bose 901s with this integrated amp because there is no tape loop, and the "preamp out" on the Yamaha A-S2000 can not be used with the "main amp" in at the same time. You can only use the "preamp out" with an external amp, and you can only use the "main amp" in with an external preamp. This is what I hate about the so called "high-end"; instead of answering a question, they impose there biased views, thinking they know so much that they have to enlighten those that are not in "the know".
I've found a pair of used Proac Studio 125 speakers at $1,000. What do you guys think?

01-11-12: Henryjudy
Mirage OMD15 seems to be a nice affordable one.
88 positive reviews on the vanns.com website are very impressive.
They'll also be a great match with your Yamaha A-S2000. Follow Mirage's instructions on break-in and you'll be richly rewarded.
Mirage OMD15 seems to be a nice affordable one.
88 positive reviews on the vanns.com website are very impressive.
Thanks Johnnyb53 for the information.
Be careful purchasing very very old speakers.

I sold my 901s, Hafler amp and pre to a non-audiophile friend ... practically gave it to him. He loves them and after a year or so, the drivers started to fall apart probably due to age. He contacted Bose and they replaced them with a new/latest pair for a nominal fee. EXCELLENT EXCELLENT customer service!
Out of curiosity, I googled the Unity Fountainhead and found a thread with pictures so you can see what these speakers look like. They are much better than anything you imagined buying. If you can swing for somewhere near $2K and travel some to get them, you will be glad you did. The cabinets are made of Corian, very dead and quite expensive. I'm not sure what drivers he used but I know there is an 11 inch downward firing woofer with very good bass.
Efficiency was in the low 90s so your Yamaha would drive them with ease.

Original msrp in the mid 1990s was around $5-6K.

There was a very positive Stereophile review which you might turn up with a little research.

http://trade.audioasylum.com/ca/ca.html?ca=53287
Here's a deal in Erie, Pa. and the seller sounds like he would meet you part way since he can't ship. Maybe you could meet up at Paterno's house for the exchange. State College might be a reasonable midpoint.

I remember these speakers from the 1990s. They were excellent.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=102353.msg1037222;topicseen#new
There are 2 pair of Totem Model 1 - Signature on sale here on Audiogon for $1,250 and $1,4000. Seems like they could fit within your budget along with the Yamaha. If you like the Totem sound, the Arro, Sttaf, or Hawk floorstanders may be of interest, used of course.
These speakers would deliver a lot of performance for minimal money and they are located in the Tidewater area of Virginia. I'm sure they would be a good match for the Yamaha amp which, by the way, I also own and love.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=97975.0
01-10-12: Henryjudy
Thanks all for your valuable inputs.
As a newbie in the hi-fi world, I learn new things everyday. :)
I pretty much made up my mind to buy the Yamaha amp but still not sure which speakers to choose. I guess it would be better for me to buy a pair of used speakers that would match well with the A-S2000 amp. Can anyone recommend any good ones under $1,000?
Mirage OMD=15. It's that much sweeter when you consider that these are $2500/pr speakers (and truly compete there). They give you "stereo everywhere" but sound much more real and work on every kind of music. I've been happily living with mine for 3-1/2 years. At $1K/pair they're a steal. S/b great match for that Yamaha. I recommend bi-wiring or getting better jumpers.
Henryjudy, if you love jazz music then your going love these latest 901's ! I have been to all the shows and heard A LOT speakers in my time and I think these latest 901's are among the BEST on the market !! Let your own ears be the judge !! These forums are full of bose bashers just waiting to jump when they hear the word BOSE !!....
I live in Howard county, Maryland.
It's kinda hard to find any stores that carries hi-fi audio equipment around here.
I've heard that Vandersteen 2Ce speakers are very good but not sure if they will match well with the Yamaha amp. Also, I tested Totem Model 1 a couple of weeks ago, and it was awesome! I just can't afford them though... :(
Tell us where you are located and its just possible there will be some used speakers in your vicinity that you can evaluate in person. Audiogoners are everywhere.
Thanks all for your valuable inputs.
As a newbie in the hi-fi world, I learn new things everyday. :)
I pretty much made up my mind to buy the Yamaha amp but still not sure which speakers to choose. I guess it would be better for me to buy a pair of used speakers that would match well with the A-S2000 amp. Can anyone recommend any good ones under $1,000?
I saw this on the web, somebody who claimed they did some art work for the next gen 901.

http://www.coroflot.com/alexananin/BOSE-901-/1#scroll

In Bose defense, many of us here got our first taste of music on Bose,and then we moved onto better equipment. Some of Bose latest products have gotten better in sound quality. Bose uses Quads stats for some of their reference in R&D work. And alot of Bose engineers are audiophiles....Keep in mind Bose in NOT an audiophile company, that is not their mission statement.
Henryjudy , I have some of the Latest 901's and a Yamaha a-s2000 amp and yes they are a GOOD match BUT these 901's sound their very best with Tube gear.

I AGREE BUT the Yamaha a-s2000 is a solid-state amp so how did I get the Yamaha a-s2000 to sound like a tube amp ??

Would you believe me if I told you it was a FUSE I replaced with a Audio Magic Nano-Liquid fuse.

It's true ! These audio magic fuses are a DREAM COME TRUE for all solid-state gear owners out there !!

It takes these fuses about 14 days..24/7 to hear their full potential .
I've decided to hold out for the Bose 902. It is rumored to have power grills and dual exhaust.
The Yamaha A-S2000 is a great choice 4 an amp. I like it so much, I've
added the CD-S2000. I also enjoy it fronted by a Modwright Transpoter,
The S2000 can biamp many affordable spkrs. A wise man in audio
once said, "I'd rather pick another man's wife, than his speakers 4 him."
Implying it's a deeply personal choice. Don't let the 'talking heads' dissuade you. Buy what you like & can afford, then enjoy your tunes...
Rrog - You seem to me to be a neophyte. Because of your ignorance you assume as much about others. Fact is, Bose has never for a minute been about performance. It is a marketing triumph, pure and simple. Any contention that the latest Bose 901 is substantively different or better than previous iterations is specious and probably naive, and certainly unrealistically optimistic.

The design, as has been explained here several times by your superiors, has inherent limitations. Of course, you have the right to believe anything that comforts you, but confronting others who plainly know more about physics, speaker design and reality than you do, is a very poor decision. Lighten up. Go enjoy your speakers, if you have them, and let the guys who have maps give directions.
Russ69, with all due respect this is not "back in the day." It's now and I've never heard anyone comment that the original 901's were best until now. The versions I heard sounded a good deal better than I remembered and I was impressed. Stereophile did a review of them in the mid 90's. It was a mixed review and they had issues with the design and the speakers difficult placement issues.
As I pointed out, my system is light years away from those 901's. I'm using expensive small monitors with tube power. But hearing the 901's was a nice reminder that there are different goals for designers. Those 901's filled the room with amazingly spacious sound. I didn't stop to analyze the timbre or image. It just sounded fun.
I agree with those who suggest the buyer hear other speakers, but no one should condemn a product without hearing it's current incarnation in more than one system and room. I've heard some highly respected speakers sound awful when paired with the wrong gear in the wrong room.

Cheers,

Rob
I'm also an old guy who owned the Series 1 Bose 901. Drove them with a Kenwood receiver and then a Phase Linear power amp.

I had a lot of fun with them; at the time they were among the most popular "audiophile" speakers.

Have not heard any of the latest iterations but given their limitations at the frequency extremes (due to the 4" drivers as previously mentioned) it's a speaker I would no longer consider owning. There are many more fine choices today than in the early 70's.

No disrespect to any former, current, or potential owners.

IMO
YMMV
"Russ69, You have extensive experience with a 45 year old speaker? Bose 901 is on series 6 now while your experience is with series 1...Once again I see another Bose basher with no real experience with Bose products."

Yes, I'm an old guy. I owned the 901s for quite some time, starting with a receiver, then a small amp and finally with a big Phase Linear. I heard a number of systems with 901s back in the day, including some impressive show demos (back when Bose went to hi-fi shows). Some say the series I speakers were the best sounding of the series but were so power hungry that later models were made more efficient but did not improve the sound, especially in the bass region. Anyway, if that qualifies as no experience with Bose products, then I'm guilty.
Russ69, You have extensive experience with a 45 year old speaker? Bose 901 is on series 6 now while your experience is with series 1. The original Vandersteen model 2 used a passive radiator and many people hated it because the bass was ill defined and boomy. So should we hate all Vandersteen speakers based on the experience of the owners of original Vandersteens. Once again I see another Bose basher with no real experience with Bose products.
Every system provides a different presentation. Some have better imaging and others provide a wider soundstage. Some have a deep sound stage and others do not. Please tell me which one is not an artificial concoction because I want my system to be exactly like the original event.
Bose brings back fun memories many many moons ago. Had a pair of 901's driven with Hafler DH500 and DH110 at home. 201's or 301's (forgot) with a Marantz receiver for college. Loved the sound and thought they were great at the time. Moved on after meeting an AUDIOPHILE at my 1st job after college. He educated and set me straight very fast :-)

Whenever I hear the word Bose now, there's an image being in a night club with music blasting from all different directions ... maybe from my drunken college days :-)

For $3500, there are many excellent choices. Used Gallo, Thiel ... I suggests attending audio shows or local dealers and audition different types of speakers. At the end if you still like 901's the best, go for it.
Loomis, Sebrof, Lev, thanks very much for the nice words. Cheers back atcha!

Best regards,
-- Al
Now with all of the brick and mortar stores mostly gone, it makes it hard for someone buying anymore.

The Creek is a good amp, but I don't know if it will have enough power for them.

Those Bose 901 speakers really does a design flaw. Any of them from the original, to present, will not sound transparent and clean. This is a problem trying to get bass and treble from a ~4 inch speaker. Everyone since the begin had a problem trying to do so. A 4 inch is good for midrange, not bass down into the thirty Hz region, and treble up to the twenty HZ region.

If you were used to good transparent speakers (I grew up with good audio gear), and system before auditioning the Bose 901 (all series), their flaws are very obvious. Still, a lot of people do enjoy them.

There is a lot of distortion, and congestion in their sound. Forcing them to do the highs and lows (with their equalizer), also destroys their their midrange. I've heard the factory reps put on their show/demo (at dealers) using two pairs, and large amps, but always the same result. It's hard for me to recommend speakers in that range.

I would try to find a dealer, even if you need to stay out of town over a weekend (or two) to audition some audio gear. The Bose 301 series from about 15 years ago fared a lot better for making music, but where small, and couldn't play as loud. I would take some of your music with you, and see what is out there. Paradigm (any price), Klipsch, and speakers with metal tweeters should probably not be considered either. The high dollar ones are better at using metal tweeters.

Big box stores don't seem to have anything good for music anymore. One exception might be Vienna Acoustics. I've always walked past them. So I can't comment on them fairly. Most big box store speakers are geared more for home theater. If the sales people use terms like crisp highs, they probably have no experience. Also, the big box stores almost always have the bass and treble turned up in the displays. Tell them to go in the menu, and set them (bass and treble) flat. I called the headquarters of three chains complaining about this years ago. One actually listened (I believe), and that worked for only a short time.
For $3500 for amp & speakers there are so many great ways to split up the pie. For example, if you like "stereo everywhere" in a more realistic soundfield, you could get a pair of Mirage OMD-15s from vanns.com for $1K (closeout down from $2500) plus a Rogue Cronus Magnum tube integrated amp ($2195). Or a pair of GoldenEar Triton 2's plus any decent integrated amp at $1K or less and you'd have a true full-range system. Or Magnepan 1.7s plus an Anthem 225 or the $1500 integrated amp of your choice.

You could also get a pair of Ohm Micro Tall speakers and an Anthem or Rogue Cronus Magnum integrated amp.
sebrof and loomis, too funny guys! and i agree. whenever an initial thread has me looking for more information, i first look for a reply by Al. his answers are most certainly all i need to know. incredible time saver as well.

cheers to Al.