Changing electrolytics

Hello, I have to change the 4 big electrolytics in the PS of my Threshold Sa/3.9e.

What brand do you suggest for best sound/reliability?



I would try to find Cornell Doublier caps about the same diameter as the OEM Mallory’s. That will make fitment easier, using the same securing bands, etc.

Should be higher temp rating than the Mallory’s and try to stay with 10% of the max capacitance of the MMallorys.


FWIW, Mallory was bought/taken over by Cornell Doublier.

If those use the Mallory caps and you want to replace them in kind, CDE has picked up the line which is now the CGS series. Mouser has a 39,000uF in stock. These are tough to find without having to place a factory order (which is a minimum of 24 to 36  pieces and can costs thousands of dollars).

Nichicons have metric threads and may be a problem if other things screw into the caps. Kemet caps are cheaper, but they are fairly new and don't have a long track record and could cause problem later (as Mark Levinson 300 series owners found out the hard way with the Philips caps).

You can go smaller in diameter, but not bigger (or else the ground bar would have to be re-drilled). As long as the bottom plate is clean, it isn't too big of a job to put in a smaller clamp. Aslo, check how much play you have up and down -- or you may be stuck without a length option.

It seems most of the large size capacitors are very expensive. Adding further difficulty is locating ones in stock. Recently purchased some for a Hafler redo. Yikes. The price is sky high!