Equalizer in a Hi Fi system

Just curious to hear everyone’s opinions on using an equalizer in a high end hi fi system. Was at work tonight and killing time and came across a Schitt Loki max $1500 Equalizer with some very good reviews. What are some of the pros / Benefits and cons in using one. Just curious. BTW. I’m talking about a top of the line. Hi end equalizer. Mostly to calm some high frequencies and some bad recordings. 

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman

@mirolab 

I do not use a separate Equalizer. All digital preamp processors have EQ capability of one sort or another. The ones I have used and use currently have EQ in several different forms. The first is your typical parametric EQ but with frequency and Q selection and the second is via Target curves. Parametric EQ can be done on the fly whereas Target curves are designed to address specific problems. As an example some recordings might have a tendency towards sibilance. So I programmed a target curve with a Gundry dip in it. I have a base target curve that tells the system how I want it to sound from an amplitude perspective. 

Preamp processors available now are the MiniDSP SHD, The Anthem STR, the DEQX Pre4 and 8, and the Trinnov Amethyst. They range in price from $1500 to $13,000. 

@tlcocks 

The PEQ in the processors I mention above are GUI style ganged controls. You adjust them on you computer and they can be used on the fly. 

We’ll done equipment/room matching and treatments should eliminate the need for equalization or other electronic tomfoolery. However if you so desire then go nuts, and fiddle to your hearts content. Firm believer in system and room matching and that HT has no place in my home at all. 

@baylinor ,

Us older philes had a negative view of tone controls and qualizers because the older analog versions messed up the image and added distortion. DIgital versions do not do this.