Fiber to my Etherregen… Sonore OM or generic?

Greetings

I’ve been experimenting with both a SOTM ISO-Cat7 isolater as well as a 2nd hand Uptone EtherRegen with great results.

I currently have my modem and wireless router behind my equipment rack and I’m concerned their proximity to my audio gear is problematic.

Since the EtherRegen has an SFP port, I think the smartest way to put some distance between them is to install a FMC after the router and run a longish optical cable up from the basement directly to the Uptone ER. Also interested in the audio and iso benefits of doing that as well.

What is the benefit of buying a Sonore Optical Module over a TP Link or other consumer level FMC?

I know there may be benefits with using certain SFP cages and their appropriate cables but , would it be wiser to buy a cheap FMC and perhaps an inexpensive LPS (from LHY for instance) then spring for a boutique fiber converter ?

thanks

JS

j_andrews

@peter_s Yes, buy a fiber optic switch with at least one copper copper port. Attach an LPS to it for less noise generation.I have a few Mikrotik 10G switches and a QNAP 10G switch. The QNAP has 8 copper and 4 fiber ports. Any port can be used as in/out. You don't need 10G, I just wanted to future proof my LAN. 

I have the ability to connect my system in two ways. Opinions on whether one will sound better than the other?

1) Network switch with integral SFP port > Fiber > Sonore Optical Rendu

2) Network switch > copper ethernet > Sonore Optical Module > Fiber > Sonore Optical Rendu

Removing the Sonore Optical Module from the path eliminates a cable and device. Could the optical conversion performed by the Sonore Optical Module be audibly different from that done by the switch?

1) Network switch with integral SFP port > Fiber > Sonore Optical Rendu

2) Network switch > copper ethernet > Sonore Optical Module > Fiber > Sonore Optical Rendu

@catastrofe it’s a good question that may only be answered by trial and error. I’d be curious to know whether your switch is powered by a LPS? If so, that may be a more realistic comparison to the opticalModule. The question would then be whether there’s enough of a difference to justify the price of the opticalModule.

For context, I’m of the belief that FMCs (as well as SFPs and single mode vs multimode optic cables) matter quite a bit. IME FMCs matter the most, especially when you compare something like the opticalModule to a $20 FMC - both seem to respond well to LPS’.