How good are the B&W 801...Series 2 Speakers ????

I have been using Pro-ac 2's and 1sc's with a Velodyne ULD15 subwoofer...I would like to use some main speakers that have a little more back-bone....Can't pay much more that 2000.00 so I thought I would buy some B&W 801's. I had a pair of B&W 802's and didn't like them but I have heard good things about the 801's...I have all tube equipment, Audio Research LS-25 line stage and VT-100 power amp, also Audio Research PH-3 phono stage and Rega 25 turntable. I listen to Classical and Blues...What do you think ?????
autospec
I owned the B&W 801 Matrix II's for years, then upgraded to the Matrix III's which are far better in the midrange. The II's had a differenct tweeter and had some type of tweeter protector unit that clouded the midrange. The Matrix III's had a new fluid cooled tweeter and new cross over that eliminated that protection circuitry. The 801's have a 12inch woofer and are very in efficient at 88dbs, so I wouldn't advise them with tubes unless you can run the big VTL's or Audio Research 600's. If you could run a solid state for the woofers and run a tube preamp, then I'd might say go for them. I had a Krell and it was a match made in heaven. My 25 cents.
I haven't heard either. But if you had the 802's, what was it about them that you didn't like? Unless is was "just missing some bass", it is likely that the 801's will have the similar issues.
At one time many of the studios recording classical music used 801's as reference monitors. I heard them at a friends and thought they were one of the best speakers I ever heard.
My guess is if you didn't like the 802s you may not like the 801s. I loved them ( 801 ser2 ) but they are very similar and definately have a type of sound and are really not all that far apart in performance.To me they tend to be a touch warm and forward.And I feel they did best with High quality Solid State amp/s..I owned a pair of 801 series 2 with Threshold s300 and Audio Research sp11. This was a great balance of s/state and tubes. Hope that helps???