How much were vinyl records selling for?

Does anyone know what the list price for records was when
CD's took over?
jhugg9
It was Peaches in the southeast. We paid a little premium, but they got the releases before most any other vendor back then. Even on our relatively modest system back then, most of us still resisted ceedees well into the 90's. And only then as an additional source.

Thanks for sparking the memories! My wife and I are having a good laugh at the thoughts of the age of our kids back then along with the memories of good times and good friends!
I worked in a record store in 1978 and list price for a single LP was $8.98; my store sold that lp for $5.49. CD's were introduced in 1982 with a list price of something like $15.98 or $16.98. Can't tell you what they sold for, 'coz I didn't get a CD player until the early 90's.

I do remember killing some time in a mall in Minneapolis (not the Mall of America) and stopping in to a stereo shop there when CD's were new. The salesman played 'Dark Side of the Moon' on a Sony CDP and it was amazing how you could stop and start the music with a touch of a button on the remote. We now take it for granted, but lp's never did that. The sound quality on that Sony was crap, BTW.
In the late 70's the big record store chains (National Record Mart, MusicLand, The Record Theater, etc) the LIST price was around $6.99 to $7.99. At K-Mart, Woolworths or Eckerds or similiar, maybe sometimes $4.99 or $5.99. Then there were "cutouts" for sometimes $2.99 and $3.99, Then in the early or mid '80's came "the nice price" stickered pressings, usually for $4.99 or $5.99. I remember regular records, regular price in Tower Records in late '80's going for $7.99 or $8.99. Classical Boxed sets higher of course.
The art and tooling for Lp production far exceeds that for CD. The price for CDs went to ~$15 at startup. A straight in your face rip-off. A real big question is why Beatles and Stones CDs go for $18 a pop now. Wanton greed. Easy a pie run them off the mill production just reaping in the bucks. I can see why Mr Jackson needs that income. But why Mick and the boys? Nasty.

/rant off