Is It Worh Modding An Amp

I have a Primaluna Dialogue One that sits idle as a backup.  I’m debating the idea of having it modded. Problem is I have no idea what can or should be upgraded or if the amp is worth the investment. Id be willing to fork over 500-1000 if it was worth it and made sense compared to what else I could do with the funds.  Curious what people’s experiences and thoughts are? 

brylandgoodman

Unless there is something deficient in the design, or parts have worn out, what is the point? I modded my Willsenton R8 integrated KT88 amp, upgrading and adding some parts (mainly resistors and audio path capacitors, and upgrading a choke) and I tube rolled it. I think it improved the sound a little and it improved the device reliability.

Just buy a new amp....go 300B and sell your old crap;..have fun. this is adventure..not a marriage. 

I modded a PL amp some years ago, film caps, Takman resistors, this along with really nice NOS tubes, especially some of the good Svetlana EL34 from back in the day were very nice improvement. Sold it at market value, still running fine to this day.  Some people will value modded equipment as equal to or higher than stock, others not. I've never let perceived valuations of others dictate my choices. The one thing I'd add is the simpler the circuit and less number of parts a component has the more a single parts change can affect sound quality. Small changes in my present 300B and 845 SET amps (especially the 300B) have made far more difference than those in push pull circuits.

If you mod it you are never going to get the money you invested in it back. Sell it and move on . It will always be a modded PL nothing more but a lot less.

Keep in mind most manufacturers will refuse to service "modded" equipment, because the quality of the mods is all over the place. Some mods actually damage the circuit, or make it unstable and failure prone.

If a manufacturer sees that when they open the can, they’ll close it up and send it back. It’s far more expensive to repair and restore a modded unit back to factory spec than simply build a new one from scratch.

Even when repairing a factory-stock unit, at some point, the repair techs will write it off and swap in new or refurbished circuit boards instead of wasting any more time on a unit with weird untraceable defects. This applies with even more force to mods with no documentation and unknown quality parts.

New-build procedures, at the factory, are rationalized and done to a strict protocol if the manufacturer knows what they are doing (hopefully yes). Anything out of the ordinary takes up time, costs money, and invites errors. This applies with more force to unknown mods which are secret or undocumented. Once any unit is modified, you need to turn to the modifier if you want service in the future.