Is there a cd player that sounds close to an LP?

I am not sure what to do at this point. My system sounds great when I play my turntable.
I have a Marantz CD-67SE CD player, not high end by any means, but not a bad lower end player, so I thought. When I play CDs the brightness actually hurts my ears when I turn the volume up a bit.
I have been considering buy new cables for the speakers, maybe control this brightness, MIT T2's. Then was thinking, hate to ruin the sound I currently have from my platter. The highs and bass are perfect.
I have been considering buying an older tube CD player, in search of a warmer sound. I am thinking an Anthem CD1, a Conrad Johnson DV2B, maybe a Sonic Frontiers SFCD1. Not really sure what to buy.
Am I on the right track? I hate to change the sound of my system for CD's, and take away from the sound of my lp's.
Is there really a CD player out there that sounds even close to a LP? Maybe one that I might be able to pick up used for about a grand?
Any suggestions here, sure appreciate it!

Thank you.
johnymac
My experience has been that a high-end analog system will
beat a high-end digital system almost every time if......
the analog source is totally tricked-out. Normal everyday listening (to include critical listening) is far more rewarding with the CD player given time and resource contraints.
The digital that I have heard that sounds closest to an LP is $37k MBL digital front end. The problem is that the digital medium of the CD is in itself flawed. I really do not think a CD is ever going to sound like an LP. SACD and beyond medium MAY be a different story.

KF
Yes, I'm in general agreement with you guys. CD's can be a bit annoying compared to a nice turntable, HOWEVER I also agree you don't want to ruin the good thing youv'e got going with your analog rig by changing speaker cables, etc just to tame the disc spinner.

you may want to try other interconnects to tame the cd player without altering the turntable sound. JPS ultraconductor has a very controlled, low distortion sound that may match up very well to the Marantz (or maybe not but it's worth a try). Also some of the cheapo Monster interconnects ($20-$40) might do the trick (although they are ridiculed in hi-end circles).

Other thing to do is try changing placement and/or isolation method for the cd player. This has worked wonders for me many times (REMEMBER: all cd players contain sensitive preamps to raise the signal to line level). I use Audioquest sorbothane feet and thy're great for cd!

If you are still frustrated at this point try to find a Musical Fidelity X-Ray. Not the last word in accuracy but very euphonic and warm, but still musical enough to keep you listening.
I have done many comparisons with the CD and LP medium.
It all comes down to the quality of the recording!
I used to use the cd63 in my system (as a transport). It isn't a great transport unfortunately. If you do get a dac, which is the cheapest way to do what you want, you'll want to pick up a reclocking device ($100, used). That being said, I think the comment about SACD is right. It's so much closer to analog.... but there's hardly any music on sacd - at least if you're looking for normal, mainstream releases, not 'audiophile' discs which seem to be made for people to listen to their systems, not the music (yeah, there are a few exceptions...). Bottom line: I've seen sony 777es (not the multi-channel) sacd/cd players here for under $1500: they sound very analog-y on regular cds (redbook) and with sacd, it's a whole order (or two) of magnitude better. They take forever to break in, so if you get a chance to audition one, make sure it's played a couple hundred hours at least. (By the way, do you leave your cd player on all the time? That's a huge difference right there.) Good luck.