Just wondering...

Sorry about the poor choice for the title but I just couldn’t compress my question into only a few words. I’ve been watching A’gon to find a good deal for a decent DAC in the $1K price range to improve my CD listening experience. As I look through the listings, I see DACs priced in tens of thousands - saw a Boulder 2020 with retail price of $32K listed for $15K. Probably an awesome bargain for somebody. To some degree I can understand speakers selling for crazy prices partly justified by their sound as well as their "furniture" value. I’m also sure a $20K pair of speakers will still sound incredible ten years from now. I can even sort of get amplifiers being a little crazy in price but they seem to last forever, at least technology-wise. I’m still loving my 35 year old McIntosh amp but can’t imagine using the same DAC even three or five years from now. What am I missing? Can a $32K DAC sound that different from a $1K DAC?

128x128kalali
" True you need to know what you're doing, but some of us don't and that's where real industry kicks in for mega profits."

I'm not buying that one. Nobody's forced to buy expensive, high end audio components. There's absolutely no reason why a beginner can't exercise rational behavior when buying gear. If someone tries to sell you something that pulls you out of your comfort zone, for whatever reason, you can always choose to keep the money in your pocket. That applies to everything, not just audio.

" That’s where simple math kills all the science behind:
calculate parts + chassis + labor and you’ll get max of $800 for that $32k ’state of art’ advertised piece of home audio playa.
Then you can proudly say weather it’s worth it or not."

It doesn't matter how difficult the math is, if you don't have the right numbers, the whole thing is irrelevant. As far as parts cost goes, no business will ever let you know what they pay for something. Ever. Its the most fundamental concept that every business owner knows. The second you tell someone what you pay for something, you loose. You can try and make an educated guess, but its still a guess.

That said, parts cost is just scratching the surface. Fixed Op's, labor, length of product development, prototype/waste costs..., all play a factor, and under normal conditions, are almost always more costly than just the parts that go into making the product itself.

Just as a quick example, I have friends that manufacturer audio components. Not DIY. You've seen these products in stores, and have read the reviews. You have absolutely no idea what it takes to start with a concept and go through the design process until it becomes a finished product. These people can be working on just one product for years before its ready to be sold. A lot more goes into all this than the average person would think.

Now, if you want to challenge and debate me on this, that's OK. But before we start investing a lot of time going back and forth, I'm asking you for 1 thing. Pick a dac that you say is hugely overpriced and break down all the costs (direct and indirect), and lay it all out in a way that proves your point.
if you aren't doing blind listening tests you are the rightful prey of the snake oil salesmen
"if you aren't doing blind listening tests you are the rightful prey of the snake oil salesmen"

Even if that were true (and its not), nobody does them. A lot of people talk about DBT's, but I have yet to see one that's of any use. The ones I have seen were done to win arguments, and nothiong more.
mb1audio02

i'm not selling any... Truth is strictly factual and static in our constantly changing world and it doesn't need to be purchased or sold.

Every established business wants to live on foolish and rich and will apply all possible and impossible tricks to convince. I'm not rich, but wealthy and the reason why I am is because I do math the following way: How not to spend much on automobile maintenance, how not to spend much on energy, gas, healthy meals, comfortable quality apparel and certainly home and pro audio! Believe me my profession IS finding right numbers just about for anything around me. I breath with numbers, figure out mind behind each word written or spoken WITH numbers.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind anyone manufacturing even $320k DAC or CD-player or any home-audio piece including wires... If they find foolish to skim -- it's aall goood and they do deserve respect for being smart!