No Bi-Amp but tubes for Maggies -- can it be done?

Someone please either put me out of my misery once and for all. Is there a tube amp that will drive Magneplanars (1.6 or 3.6). Most listened to are female Jazz vocals. If can get some real expert input I'll give up the dream and move on to the best cat coffins I can find or plunge into the world of electrostatic/ribbons. Thanks as always.

F7
fathom7

F7,
Given your listen taste are geared toward Jazz and female vocals there is hope although not cheap...

I currently run my 3.6R with VTL 225's that run in Class A Triode mode only. Midrange and highs are very sweet with plenty of air. Although these amps have very high current I could still use more power for those last octaves to come out. As mentioned getting large amounts of “Class A” tube power is not cheap. Used Wolcotts are below $6000. VTL depending or year and mods are in the similar price ranges.

Depending on your room size a “smaller” 200 watt tube amp will work nice. For the MG1.6 100-200 tube watts would work well as for the 3.6R 200-500 watts would make them that much better.

Good luck
I had a similar experience as Sscot1961. I drove a pair of Magnepan 1.6QRs with an ARC D-115MK2 and later a D-125. If your room isn't huge these amps provide plenty of power to make the Magnepans come to life. The midrange, especially on female vocals, is just glorious.

It CAN be done. It MUST be done.
You really shouldn't consider anything less than 100 watts/channel. However, to really make maggies sing, you should look for at least double that. Would you consider a hybrid like a moscode(tube gain, solid state output)? Regardless, be prepared to spend lots of $$$
If you are interested in other options, you might also consider Parasound JC-1s (disclaimer: I sell them). A customer who recently borrowed a pair from me to try with his MG 20.1s declared them the ones to beat, having tried quite a few other solid state amplifiers, some costing well into five figures. At some point he may biamp his speakers, which wouldn't be cost prohibitive to do with JC-1s. If you're committed to tubes, I agree with Duke's recommendation of the Wolcotts. Either way, you'll be a happy camper.

Brian
VTL 450 or 750 in Triode would be excellent the Walcott is excellent choice also.