Pani ... New ART-9 up and running ...

The Cartridge arrived and I took it down to Studio City to Acoustic Image to have Eliot Midwood set it up properly. Eliot is the bomb when it comes to setting up the Well Tempered turn tables correctly.

http://www.acousticimage.com/

So, last night I had Mr. Golden Ears over to get his assessment as well. For a brand new cartridge that had zero hours on it ... all I can say is WOW! This is one naturally musical cartridge that doesn't break the bank. Its everything I liked about the OC9-mk III, but it goes far beyond the OC-9 in every respect.

In a previous post, I talked about the many mono records I own and how good the OC-9 was with the monos. Well, the ART-9 is on steroids. Just amazing on mono recordings.

At under $1100.00 from LP Tunes, its a bargain. The ART-9 surpasses all cartridges I've had in the system before. That would include Dynavectors, Benz, Grado Signatures and a Lyra Clavis that I dearly loved. In fact, its more musically correct than the Clavis. The Clavis was the champ at reproducing the piano correctly ... the ART-9 is equally as good in this area.

Sound stage, depth of image, left to right all there. Highs ... crystalline. Mids ... female and male voices are dead on. Transparency ... see through. Dynamics ... Wow! Low noise floor ... black. Mono records ... who needs stereo?

Your assessment that the ART-9 doesn't draw attention to itself is dead on. You just don't think about the cartridge at all. Not what its doing, or what its not doing ... its just beautiful music filling the room.

Thanks again Pani for the recommendation. I'll keep posting here as the cartridge continues to break in.
128x128oregonpapa
What is the measurement from stylus tip to the top of the cartridge? I'm thinking about trying one of these on my Rega.
Here are some measurements of ART-9. I got it from Audio Technica:
http://wikisend.com/download/182928/AT-ART9.pdf
Thanks, Pani! 

Will need a shim shim to get it to work on a Rega but no problem for the VPI.

Don't know if anyone has had a chance to compare the ART9 to an upper-level Dynavector like the XX2, but I'd love to hear about it.
butch: I can't quite answer your questions but will offer this...I ran a Dyna XX2MKII in my Scout with a Whest 3.0 stage and then swapped that setup for the Herron VTPH-2 with an AT OC9MLII. It was an interesting move that showed me the importance of the stage and the degree to which Keith's VTPH-2 really deserves all the kudos it routinely gets in the press and elsewhere. The VTPH-2/OC9 combo was considerably better across the board, easily besting a very well regarded solid state stage (the Whest) and what is likely a superior cartridge (the Dyna). My recent swap of the OC9 with the ART 9 has moved things to an entirely different level altogether. The number of variables here are such that I would not be able to testify to the relative performance of the Dyna XX2MKII and the ART 9 but if I were a betting man I'd say (in the right arm) it is better by a pretty good margin.
I may not be able to give an exact answer to your question, but I have some experiences to share.

I have owned the Dynavector 17D3 for some time. It is considered to be very dynamic and fast because of its short diamond cantilever. In my system it was at least 3 levels below the ART9. I mean not even worth comparing. 

I have heard the XX2 mk2 multiple times in different systems, it is much better than 17D3. It has a consistently smooth sound picture with a some romanticizing the mids and highs. Macro dynamics are good but below ART9. Microdynamics and transparency is also good but well below the ART9. Resolution is also nice but again not in the same level as ART9. In terms of speed and timing (PRAT) it is similar to ART9 but ART9 is still more agile, more quick with transient response.

I also heard the Dynavector Tai katora Rua, it plays similar to ART9 but ART9 is still more vibrant and energetic in sonic picture. The ART9 just does not allow you to think of an cartridge upgrade because of its amazing all-round performance. It gets out of the picture, plays like top quality studio equipment. Even with the Dynavector TKR I did not hear that level of disappearing act. May be the XV1s does it all and betters the ART9 but I have only heard the XV1s once and that is not a good enough auditioning time to make any judgement between them.