When does analog compete with digital?

With vinyl becoming all the rage, many believe (perhaps mistakenly) that a budget of $1K will allow them to bring their analog front end up to par with their digital. I would like a reasoned assessment of this issue.

How much time, money, and expertise do you think is necessary before one can seriously claim that their analog front end can compete with their digital? What characteristics, if any, are simply incommensurable between these two mediums? Let's use my system as an example.

Personally, I tried to build an analog front-end that focused on texture/warmth (as opposed to dynamics), but I still feel as though something is missing. Trouble is, I can't quite put my finger on it. I'd be grateful for comments/suggestions (system in sig)
jferreir
For anyone who is serious about getting the "high end sound" on the cheap, there is a well documented thread here on the Gon; that details the Rega upgrade path.
My first reaction to this thread was to look at what the turntable was sitting on. So, I guess I agree with Samhar and T_bone. While this might not solve the specific problem, until this is looked at, you will always have a problem.
Judging by the volume of responses, I was correct is my estimation that this might be a touchy subject...

It was interesting reading everyone's responses. Thank you to those who have contributed. Just to reiterate, I presently have NO intention of swapping out any components or experimenting with any 'tweaks' until I move the system to a more hospitable listening environment (just a few months away). I know without a doubt that my biggest obstacle is the room - reflective walls and speaker placement, being the most troublesome. Alas, that is beyond my control. Life happens.

That said, I'm always a bit skeptical when I read about the importance of isolation platforms. The speaker stands are spiked and, when playing a low volumes, there is very little vibration (if any) that would travel up the desk. Besides, in a tiny listening environment of 10x11, I would think airborne vibrations would be a greater problem. In which case, wouldn't the isolation platform be obsolete? I was told that isolation platforms, contrary to what some here have written, are a final tweak. It is only when everything else has been properly executed that one can hear the difference proper isolation makes. Thoughts?

I know experience is paramount to achieving optimal analog playback, but it's a bit difficult when you have no one to instruct you on proper procedure/maintenance. How would someone new to the hobby become an 'expert', so to speak? I invested quite a bit in my current rig, so I don't feel comfortable letting my clumsy fingers manhandle the thing. I've tried hunting around garage sales for an old TT to practice on, but no luck so far. Are there any (free) online resources that may be of use? Given all the conflicting information out there, it's difficult to siphon the truth from the BS. I kind of wish I could enrol in a course or something... just so I know the instructor is knowledgeable. I really hate relying on local dealers for simple things such as mounting a cartridge.
Jferreir,
As to isolation being a final tweak or a basic setup issue, it depends on your environment. It is not only speaker noise which matters. Buildings have resonance. Some of it is earthbound, some of it is how buildings react to outside elements. Some of it is how buildings turn noise in one place into vibration in other places. Part of it depends on where you live. If you live in the countryside on the eastern seaboard, far from roads, you may have little worry. If you live in a city, or in a region affected by earthquakes, you will find that buildings tend to resonate slightly most of the time. It is kind of creepy.

As for online resources, check the FAQs on Audioasylum.com, Also, if you find conflicting information on these resources, raise the question about which should be trusted on Audiogon or over at Audioasylum. How does a newbie become an expert? Practice.
In regard to isolation. A turntable is the most sensitive component in the whole system.

When people say that isolation should be addressed last, it is because they probably don't have a turntable.

If your room sits on a concrete slab then that helps alot. If it has a suspended floor then a wall shelf would most likely work better.