Which amp to use with Linear Tube Audio pre?

I really love my LTA Microzotl 2. Its bit clunky in a NAD 3020 sort of way but the sound always pleases.

I'd like to pair it with an amplifier that doesn't step on what it does, have used it with a Prima Luna Premium amp section and Musical concepts modded Hafler, both subtracted from what I can hear using it as a 1w amplifier direct. Am tempted to go for a Pass XA25 in my 12x12 listening room as that has good reviews driving Magnepan whereas the LTA amp sections do not.

Wondering if LTA pre owners have other recommendations?


In a Sterophile review of an earlier version of the ZOTL40 (push/pull) amp the reviewer mated it with Magnepan .7.

Looks like the newer version (ZOTL40 REFERENCE+) is $1K more @ ($6,800).

Interesting that you were able to drive the 1.7's with the 1-watt power section of the  Microzotl 2.

I had wondered if it would work with my vintage wide range single drivers and it looks as if it would with my 8 ohm Elac S517's  and 16 ohm Stephens Trusonic 80FR's.

You might check out the inexpensive SS Van Alstine power amp that he decribes as being single ended, or an "upgraded" DNA amp (used) if you can find one.


Anyone using Class D with their LTA pre product? Skeptical about class D but I keep seeing posts by Magnepan owners happy with the newer class D amplifiers.

The Hafler I have puts out about 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms, the more power argument pushes in the direction of a 400 watt amplifier in order to make a significant transient reserve difference.

@dekay The AVA DVA M225's look interesting. If I could verify that they stay in class A at 4 ohms up to 50 watts that would on paper rival the Pass XA25 plus have more reserve power.

@cat_doorman what I hear using MZ2 straight in is a less compressed sound, the ambiance and little sound cues that persuade of a lifelike reproduction. yeah sustained bass gets muddy and loud treble transients can clip but thats 10% if the time vs the other 90% that sounds more life like.

Post removed 

i am amazed by what the xa25 can do with my 1.7i’s in my 17x19 well damped room

nominally pass rates it as 25/8, 50/4 but read the atkinson test results in herb’s review in s’phile... it actually puts out 130 wpc into 4 ohms at <1% thd! ... now in golf that is called pro-level major league sand-bagging!!!! 😂