Which taps?

Hey everyone,

I inherited a Jolida SJ502A tube integrated from my uncle. This is my first ever tube component and I have been enjoying the experience with some speakers I have.

The Jolida has both 4 and 8 ohm taps. I have been using the 4 ohm taps for my Magnepan LRS and the 8 ohm taps for the other speakers rated for 8.

Along with the amp, he gave me a pair of early 1970s 15 ohm Rogers LS3/5As. Which taps should be used for these speakers? I know nothing about tubes and don't want to damage the amp or speakers.

Also, I have Harbeth speakers rated at 6 ohm. Does it matter which taps to use for these?




You read first and make sure the amp will be all right. You have a manual? Find one. I tap what sound the best. Then I check for heat. Smoke is to late.. :-)

Most amps if you screw up they will pop a fuse if the load is to heavy. 

I like using an 8 ohm tap for 6-12 ohms. But I use the same type of drivers. Small planars, and ribbons.  Easy loads. I can't get a class D to heat up. An AB valves amp runs a lot cooler behind very efficient light driver material. Nothing is heavy about planars or ribbons. Magnets?

Your bouncing around a bit. Get a heat gun, it will tell you a lot.. Check the heat index. Rule of thumb, cooler is better, and listen..