Active VS Passive speakers and, specifically, Elac Navis ARB51 as the active speaker?

We are moving into a new home this Fall and I want good sound for music, TV and voice (podcasts) at the $2.000 to $3,000 price level.  I am new to the quality-audio arena and would appreciate some advice.  Should I go with Sonos Fives instead of the ARB51?  Is the KEF LS50 a better choice.  A solid recommendation for a newbie would be much appreciated.
ronmo
+1 viethluu.  And then analysis paralysis takes hold.  This forum is already unforgiving enough, add no direction and it goes wonky fast.
Sorry for the incompleteness of the question.  I listen to jazz, rock, country.  I want to have speakers in multiple rooms: workout room, tv room, living room, bedroom, maybe even one on the patio.  listening is more passive than active.  I know I won't have great sound with this budget, but I would like to get good quality sound given the limited budget and desire to have music in multiple places.
For your broad requirements, I'd use a combination. Actives for the room you want the best SQ and passives on a switch for other rooms. Understand if you get an active speaker you won't be able to choose the amps or route the amplifier signal to other passive speakers.
As I hear them the Elac sounds best (dual concentric design)
and  it can be had as a passive in the newer reference uni model
for $1.1k as I recall.
Thanks to all who responded.  Your comments have been most helpful.  The research continues with special emphasis on the Elac.
Ron