advice on dedicated line

Hello.

I need to have an electrician do some work on my house, and am mulling over a dedicated line for my sound system while she or he is there.

I am new to this, though, and not especially sophisticated about electrical matters. So I am wondering what exactly I want to ask for, and thought maybe you all would know.

I have an amplifier, a cd player, a Sonos unit, and a DAC.

Do I want two dedicated lines--one for the amplifier and one for everything else? So 2 20 amp circuits with 10 gauge wire?

Do I need to say something else about ground wires etc? About the breaker box?

Can I get 3 outlets on one dedicated line?

What kind of outlets do I want?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks!

mc
mcanaday
Post removed 
I doubt that there is much likelihood that having a 15 amp breaker instead of a 20 amp breaker would ever make a meaningful difference with respect to protection of the equipment, especially given the protracted breaking times circuit breakers generally have for marginal overloads. The fuses in the components are primarily what protect the components. The breakers are there primarily to protect against overheating of the house wiring, and to protect against the possibilities of electrocution or fire that might otherwise result if an insulation failure in a component were to cause a short between AC and chassis.

Yes, two 20 amp lines, or even one 20 amp line, is certainly overkill with respect to the current requirements of Margot's system, and the majority of other systems. However, the associated heavier gauge wiring, and perhaps also the more substantial outlet and breaker, could conceivably provide a sonic benefit by reducing both AC voltage loss and AC voltage fluctuation that would occur in the wiring as a result of the fluctuating current draw of the system, particularly of the power amplifier.

So while I see the possibility of a benefit from having a 20 amp line rather than a 15 amp line, albeit perhaps a slim one, I see no downside.

Regarding two lines vs. one line, as I indicated above there are tradeoffs involved, which don't have much if any predictability. And experimenting with different configurations of what is plugged in where is arguably the only way to assure optimal results. So if Margot is going to the trouble of having one dedicated line installed, I see no reason for her to not have a second one installed at the same time, thereby providing the flexibility to try different configurations.

Best regards,
-- Al

Speaking from experience, yes, the size of wire on the dedicated lines will make a difference. About 3 tears ago, a friend decided to experiment with this, mainly because another close friend of his was an electrician. He had always used 2 dedicated lines of 12 gauge with basic heavy duty outlets, then just changed the wire to a standard 10 gauge romex. From there, he changed to the VH Audio 10 gauge romex. In each case there was a definite improvement in overall sound quality emerging from an even blacker background. Then he experimented with outlets, finally deciding on the Porter Port, and I agree, the Porter Port sounded the best overall. I do feel very fortunate to have this first hand experience on dedicated lines, and can say that the possibility stated by Al is a reality.
Al, in your post above, you write the following about surge protectors:

"I and a number of other members use this $259 8-outlet BrickWall surge suppressor/line filter with excellent results. Note that it provides some degree of noise filtering between each of its four duplex outlets, as well as between those outlets and the incoming AC."

You and I may have traded messages before about the benefits and downsides associated with surge protectors. Even still, let me pick it up one more time.

I use a surge protector for my electrical components, except for my subwoofer and power amp. In the later case, I seem to recall that ARC advised me to just plug it into the wall, for the reasons (benefits) you mentioned above. Namely, better access to AC current when the amp is drawing power, especially when handling dynamic transients. Of course, the downside is that my amp is more exposed to damage in case of an AC power surge (e.g., lightening strike).

Two questions. First, in your opinion, does the Brickwall surge protector constrict the amp's access to AC wall current to any significant extent, at least to the point where I might be able to detect a change in sonics?

Keep in mind that my amp is a 150 wpc tube amp. ARC specs it as drawing about 400 watts at idle and about 800 watts when pushing. In addition, the amp has a pretty robust power supply (1040 joules). I assume that the stored power supply would be tapped first during dynamic transients. Perhaps, the amp's power supply acts like a "shock absorber" in that the amp may not need to draw large amounts of AC power in a short time frame if it can draw off the internal power supply first. That's just an intuitive guess.

Second, in your opinion, how much risk is there that an AC power surge will and could take out my amp. I live in the Philly area and am tied into a large urban utility grid. And yes, we are affected by occassional power outages, espcially weather related (e.g., most recently resulting from the snow and ice storms affecting the NE).

On balance, do you think the risk of unprotected AC access outweighs the benefits of direct AC access, sans artifacts?

Thanks,

BIF