Almost Time to Replace My DV-20xl

The time to replace my aging DV-20xl is rapidily approaching; what to do next?

How close or how much 'difference' is there between the DV Xv-1s and the DV XX-2? There's a large price difference of course... I am very tempted to go all-in and spring for the XV-1s but it ain't cheap!
stickman451
Stickman, stick to your guns....there's a bit of bad advice up above...those cartridges will not mistrack if set up correctly...megatracking cheap cartridge? I don't even know what that means...
Your arm is a keeper, and those cartridges will really show it to you like you've never heard it before.
Full steam ahead....and watch out for a few wet logs..
Chahas1: I'm sorry, but I slaved for two years trying to get the Dyna xx 2 to track with VPI arm. If 70% success is good enough for you, fine. My dealer (of 30 years' experience ) tried multiple alignments, none of which worked. I gave you specific tracks and lps ...why not try them before spouting? Does the audio technical 130e track better? Yes. And it's "musical" as one could ever want.
I would still wait to buy a very expensive cartridge. Just get a new 20XL for now or have your old one retipped.
And never say never; what if your new TW will sound better to your ears with another arm? There are no kepers in absolute terms.
hi jd..I actually have the tracks you mention, though I don't have the arm, so sorry, can't do your specific experiment. I've seen and heard the cartridges you mention never mistrack as you speak of, that's why I was "spouting", doesn't matter to me who your dealer is.
But I will take huge exception to you saying the AT is all one could ever want. You need to get those ears out more. Good luck to you.
Bottom line is...without good tracking ability, how can one even think about musicality when one knows there's a train wreck coming. Moreover, the AT is indeed "musical," and though not as dynamic or "sparkling" as the xx2, to say it's a great tracker above all else is damning with feint praise. BTW, as I enjoy my 20th year playing in the local orchestra, I'll "get my ears out there more." : )