Andrew Singer Of "Sound by Singer" passed away yesterday

Andy Singer who owned an audio store in Manhattan and was also a lawyer, passed away yesterday.  I was friends with him on Facebook and found him to be quite a fascinating person.  He was opinionated and was never afraid to speak his mind.  He knew a lot about high end audio and much more.  I will miss him. Rest in Peace Andy.

128x128stereo5

I was in the 15th Street store years ago for a manufacturer's rep night.  Can't recall the speakers, but I think it was VAC gear. After the demos, Andy asked me what I thought of the sound. I sheepishly replied that I could never afford the speakers being demonstrated.  He was very gracious and said he didn't care, he really wanted to know what I thought.  I found him very pleasant.  I did listen to some less expensive speakers in the side room with the glass wall.  All I could think was "where's the bass?" RIP, Andy.

I don't remember him but I bought a couple of items there including my first pair of Dynaudios... I think they may have been $1200 for the pair. I owned a small industrial business in Chelsea at the time and always wore jeans which could get dirty. No Rolex. They let me audition the Dynaudios with source material I brought and left me alone. A good experience.

Like many here, i happily visited Sound by Singer: it was a great shop. Always felt the staff were very good at answering questions and sharing ideas… it took me years before i could reach “HiFi” status and Sound by Singer certainly helped me with guidance. Andy Singer - be in peace.

Upon first site of ’Andrew Singer Of "Sound by Singer" passed away yesterday’ I immediately thought there’ll likely be more than a few ’ugh finally’s floating around the hobby today.

I met him once, probably 30 years ago, as a pair of hands while accompanying a dealer friend with some business to handle with him. I found him quick & pleasant. That said- it was rare to hear a good word about him whenever his name came up. Maybe it was ’Hating’, maybe it was the ads. He did alot of expensive advertising back in the print media days and no one in the hobby got to escape that imperious black & white gaze- even if you were an audio guy in the furthest reaches of Alaska terrain. There were sometimes pictures of equipment, but the most prominent image in any of the ads would be of him.

He was selling him.

There were lots of dealers in the heyday of this pursuit, he was good enough to position himself at the top of the heap and that in itself always inspires hatred in any business. The pulling up in the ’Mercedes in Armani with Rolex...’ bullsht always rears it’s ridiculous cliche head throughout audiophilia and as a former (and sometimes successful) sales professional, I can tell you with complete certainty that that particular moan almost always emanates from either a tire kicker/timewaster/dreamer or a complete schmuck, all of whom are usually spotable upon first utterance.

The cat lived a good life. He did what he wanted to do and did it well enough to pay some very high rent and still have enough leftover to show the entire audio universe his face somewhere everyday of the year for decades.

Good for him.