Anyone listen to Zu Audio's Definition Mk3?

Comparisons with the 1.5s and the others that came before? Getting the itch; again......
128x128warrenh
Phil, your comments continue to reassure me, since contrary to correct procedure, I've gone ahead and ordered the Def4s without having auditioned them first. I've been generally so impressed with the 2s over the last 5-6 years, that the promise of major performance improvements while maintaining all that's already so great about the Zu house sound, with yours and others uniformly positive comments makes me feel I haven't taken a major risk.
My new rim drive tt/linear tracking arm combo is checking out nicely, pretty happy with my cd, and my amps have never let me down (emphasised by your take that the 2s have contributed to lack of bite, not the Hovlands).
My remaining upgrades are possible change in cartridge direction to Soundsmith Straingauge, or keeping Zu 103/Transfiguration Orpheus, and updating phono stage, and then major look at racks/uprated balanced power.
I'm positive that the Def4s are going to give me a really fresh perspective on sound quality, and finally direct me to being happy with overall sound and end in sight for 15+ years of upgradeitis!
Spirit,

Def4 Footers

I. Stillpoints Ultra SS

2. Sistrum SP-1 or SP -101

3. Equarack Footers I have 8 I can sell if interested.
I don't have speaker footers, but just received a set of Wave Kinetics...to go under the amps.

I
Cobra,

You write with

Do power cords make a difference? Well, yes, in that they tend to bring their own sound. But if an amplifier needs a specific power cord to sound musically-convincing, and without it it doesn't, then said power cord should be supplied with the amp if it is so elemental to the performance of the circuit. "Dude, you didn't have the right power cord..." doesn't cut it. I'm pretty sure even ASR wouldn't endorse that proposition.

But then I find this out about your past upgrades

My own Black Shadows are seven years old, and my Golden Dreams about ten years old. The Black Shadow have silver audio path wiring, but as far as I know, copper-wound transformers. The Golden Dream have silver wirepaths, and silver-wound transformer secondaries. These are "Level 6" Golden Dream. Two improvements have been made to both. A couple of years ago, seeking better bass discipline, I asked Bob Hovland to examine the amps' circuits, listen to them, and recommend component upgrades. He chose to leave the signal path alone but to change out the power supply electrolytics to Nichicon, specifically tall, slender Nichicons. In the Black Shadows, he found he could considerably beat the factory hum noise spec via custom shielding of the toroidal power transformer, so I had that done as well.

The recaps made the Black Shadow pair "more like themselves" without dramatic changes to overall signature. They just became better at what they were already good at: bursty, objective, expressive, toneful sound with deep, muscular bass, blissful midrange realism, spatial honesty, smooth and extended top end; convincing tonal and dynamic realism on my Zu Definition speakers. The recaps instigated a much bigger improvement to the Golden Dream pair. The GD is an ultra-resolving amplifier that's also loaded with expressive tone. But the stock GD, like most 300B amps, brings with it some bass bloat, which varies by what tubes you use, but it's there. That euphonic fatness in the bass certainly fills a room but it's sloppier than it ought to be. Above 70Hz or so, fine. Below that -- and on something like a Definition, this is obvious -- bass loses objectivity.

So you see 23 you say one thing and do another. If ASR should then Audion should. You have lost my attention 23!

I
Sent from my iPhone

You write

I don't think ASR makes bad amplification. I just can't listen to its truncated, desiccated tone. I don't doubt for a second that ASR sounds fine -- until you hear better, and until a listener thinks seriously about how music actually sounds. It's pretty good for SS, bested by just a few others in that topology. Build quality is *very* high. At its price and even lower, however, there are better alternatives for approaching the original sound. It really doesn't matter that we don't agree. You'll put the ASR in your rear view mirror sooner or later, too, just like every other amp you've championed in the past. It's OK! Enjoy it while you can. You're in the realm of the white hats with your speakers anyway.

the ASR in your rear view mirror sooner or later, too, just like every other amp you've championed in the past.

Sounds like you are pissed about something here 23. I went from HOT OTL amps I loved to the cool running ASR amp that was as good and if not better. Remember I live in FL 23? HOT here. I am not married to ASR and if I move on someday that doesn't mean the ASR is trash nor the OTL amps. I champion OTL amps and ASR and I am sure there are plenty more out there to champion.