Are REL the most Musical Subs?

Forgive me if I have created a redundant thread.  I don’t usually post in the Speakers area.

I have a Paradigm sub in my basement HT that has apparently given up the ghost after about 20 years.  I’m not a huge bass listener.  We used to use the area for movies but lately a different room of the home has taken that over.  I listen to classical music and the system gets used primarily for SACD and Blu Ray.  No desire for multiple subs.  The front speakers are full range, setup is 5.1

I added a REL sub to my 2 channel system a few years ago, an REL, and have been delighted with the results.  It doesn’t boom at me.  What it does do is add the low level percussion effects that composers such as Mahler, Shostakovich , and modernist composers add to reinforce bass lines.  I never realized, for example, how many gentle tympani and gong effects are in Shostakovich Babi Yar symphony.

The REL integrates all of this naturally without calling attention to itself.  The Paradigm in the basement never did this but it was an older design and more budget friendly.

So I am inclined to replace the Paradigm with another REL in the basement but was wondering what the current thinking is with subs.  I haven’t paid much attention lately and the stuff that I have pulled discusses multiple subs, Atmos, etc, and doesn’t seem to address my needs.

Placement will be different as well.  The current sub is placed between the front speakers, and the gear rack is on the other side of the room.  20 years ago I had the energy to bury the cables next to a baseboard heat along the all, after schlepping the sub over the basement testing placement spots,but with advances in DSP I’m now hoping to place the sub next to the rack

mahler123

I replaced a pair with a single RSL 12S, and I could not be happier. My room seems to embrace the change and works coherently with my speakers, using the hi level connection. To each his/her own.

Let me put a word in for the much more affordable Hsu subs.  In my opinion they are musical and very economically priced.  I use a pair in my video system but have also listened to them in the main audio system.

https://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-tn1

In a word: "YES" - the REL is the King of the Hill when it comes to integrating a sub into your audio system. I like the Speakon connection to my amp's speaker taps, and I've always found that the REL "sub bass" unit brought a wonderful balance across the frequencies, while also adding some transparency and openness to the overall sound. 

I currently use 6 JL Audio Fathom 110’s, 3 stacked on each side next to my YG Acoustics Hailey 2.2’s in a two channel setup.  No boom, just a natural clean bass that complements the speakers in my living space.

I run two Rythmik L12s with my Borresen X3s (which have faster bass than most speakers in their class) and they blend very well. I am an outlier though in that I run both subs stacked and in mono. In my system, mono subs consistently provide more articulation than in stereo, which makes sense considering multiple mono subs is better for mitigating room modes in theory. 

One advantage of the Rythmiks over many competitors is that you can cross them over as low as 30Hz, and choose either a 12 or 24dB/octave slope. Many/most subs cannot be crossed lower than 30Hz and only provide one crossover slope. 

The Rythmiks are incredibly well built for the price. In fact it’s hard to comprehend how the company makes any real profit off its L12 model considering they build them in the U.S.