Avalon Eidolon Diamond-Worth it?

Hi,
I love my Avalon Eidolon and was wondering if it's worth the price of admission to upgrade to the Diamond model.
Nick
nickt
Tom,

If you don't mind, I have a question for your regarding the differences between the regular Eidolon and the Diamond version. (Nick, I hope you don't mind my slightly hi-jacking your thread!)

The specifications for the regular Eidolon, (I assume it is the same as the new Eidolon Vision), state it goes down to 26 hz. (I'll be honest and state I really thought it only went down to about 30 hz, based upon listening to it). The specifications for the Diamond version states it goes down to 24 hz.

Question: Can you really tell the difference between the two as far as their bass response is concerned?
I ask, because the bass response on the regular version, while very good, was not great. (And it took a powerful amp (200+ wpc) to get to that level.) If the Diamond really does go down to 24, that would probably be sufficient for my needs.

I am looking for a more full range speaker than my Revel Studios, and the regular Eidolon had about the same bass response as my Studio.) The mid-range and the soundstaging/imaging on the Eidolons was always pretty spectacular (IMHO), so if the Diamonds can just give me that last bit of bass response, I would be interested in them.

Thanks for the help!
Kurt - you will not get the bass slam you are looking for from the Diamonds. There is not much of a difference in bass slam between Eidolon Vision and Diamond. If you want more bass slam get the Wilsons or ... the Isis.
I am an Avalon lover,and owner.Yet,once Avalon switched their philosophy from "sealed" enclosures to a ported design,I became very suspicious!

Yes,I know it was under new ownership,but c'mon,the attitudes,especially those expressed in the "superlative" owners manual(which is a superb "read") about the significant advantages of a sealed enclosure,really got me thinking(something I don't like to do-:).

So,I gave the original Eidolon a good audition,and stayed with my "way underrated" Ascent Mk-II.I'm really glad I did,because(though some might feel otherwise....I certainly don't)the Eidolon was simply a sidegrade,to me....At best!!

I felt it definitely had more WAF,but the Ascent is an absolute textbook design,and "way overbuilt",not unlike the stuff Magico is doing today!

Six inch thick front,sealed design,external crossover,88 db sensitivity,easy 6 ohm load,and "the" sophisticated damping circuit in crossover,allowing each driver to basically see their own amp,from just "one"!....Not to mention it still has an amazing level of inner detail and air!...I've been really open minded about replacing it,but I no longer am susceptible to industry hype....As long as my ears tell me otherwise.Btw,they are simply gorgeous too!!

Charles Hansen(I think we know his credentials,by now)really went for it,in this speaker...so...

What I did was to employ a REL Stentor sub,to reinforce the "lowest" octave,as in my room I have the speaker out about seven feet.They replaced a big four tower Infinity design,so the "absolute bottom octave" does benefit here.

I admit I've been fascinated with the "labeling" of the Eidolon "Diamond",and I am sure it IS superb,but I have not heard it,and am not going to drive fifty miles for an audition.I can't believe(I do hope I am wrong)it is SO much better than the very good Eidolon!

Just my two cents...and personal taste!Nothing more!!

Best.

Sirspeedy what is your system?

I've seen many great post from you but I don't know what components you have.