Cables Are Crazy, what do you think?

I have been in several arguments with my best friends father on the subject of high end audio components and cables. He is a DR. of physics and mathmatics and always takes the stance that cables just transfer information and should show no effect on sound performance. He does stipulate that depending on the material used can change what information is transfered. He is no audiophile and I have tried to sit him down and show him what does happen when you do use different cables but he never seems to make the time to let me prove to him that different cables have different sounds. I know cable make a huge difference in a system, but does any one know how I can verbalize that to a DR. of physics with more intellegence then it just sounds different with different cables?
willypinecrest
Checkout this study done on two different cables.

I did not check everything but several of the results are exactly what I would have expected based on physics. The zip cord is not as good and one of the wel known disadvantages of thicker wires versus many small wires will indeed be a slight roll off above 15 KHz (skin effect). This appears on the plots. Phase difference will also be expected to be higher due to the wire separation in the zip cord (the wires are close together in the Clarity 7) - again the results look intuitively correct.

Bear in mind that a 9 KHz square wave has frequencies well up into the 100 KHz range (as it is square) - so I am not sure of the relevance of this plot - or the one with resonance.

All in all I woudl support the claims that the Clarity 7 is better than the zipcord - although this is mainly true from 15 Khz to 400 KHz. As for me I can't hear above 15.5 KHz so I am not sure if I shall be switching from my monster cables ( basically zip cord or not different from zip cord ).
I guess my general point was that cables can exhibit differences which can be measured.
I guess my general point was that cables can exhibit differences which can be measured.

Yes and the measurements can be explained by science too. 100% agree.
high end cables are todays version of an equalizer, with the frustration of trial and error.
invite him over for some blind testing. He swaps the cables, you identify them. Do it 10 out of 10 times and he'll have to admit you're right.