Can a buyer back out with no penalty?

Hi members,

Last week I got an offer for a preamp on Audiogon which I am selling. The buyer offer cash local pickup and he required an audition before taking the preamp. It seems fair to me so I accepted his offer.

Yesterday he came to my house with another guy. They spent almost an hour to play through my system. Then finally they said they don't want to buy it with the reason "I don't like the sound". I tried to explain to him that after the buyers' offer is accepted that is a commitment to buy. Unless the product was not as described in the ads, he has to take it. They just left without saying anything.

My question is: what do we do with that kind of buyer, how to deal with this situation correctly?

Thanks,

Calvin

dangcaonguyen
There are fakes that only very good equipment can detect. Why take chances?
I don't like deposit approach, that's too business-like and unfriendly.
As for leaving negative or not, I decide on case by case basis. Even one negative feedback carries a lot of weight on Audiogon. In the OP's case I would not leave any feedback but would not deal with this person again. He did nothing terribly wrong.
I have always used Paypal with no problems
Once I bought something that turned out to be a scam and Paypal got my money back. Everything I have sold That I was payed with Paypal has worked with no problems. I would never let a stranger in my house to audition equipment.
Alan
"He did nothing terribly wrong."

That may or may not be true. Buyer made an offer and seller accepted. That's a contract. Breaking a contract is terribly wrong, however, if the buyer's offer was contingent on the audition, then he did nothing wrong. The only way to determine who is at fault for the unfortunate situation is to know the exact details of their initial conversation.

If the buyer backs out after an official offer has been accepted contact Agon support and they will undo the deal and charge them a $19 back out fee. 
I thank all of you who have replied. I hope the buyer have a chance to read this to see what others think of his act. I dont give him neg feed back. I just hope he will respect other people's time and do some research before sending an offer. I had to skip work and drive back 40miles from work to meet him at home because of his available time slot. I have learnt a big lesson and will be very careful for home audition next time. 
Thanks to all, after reading your comments I feel much better.
Now is my time to enjoy my new Shindo system which i was lucky to buy from audiogon members.
Calvin