Cary SLI-80 tweaks and improvements?

Hello all,

I have an older Cary SLI-80 that I'm trying to find a path forward to a wider sound stage and improved dynamics.  In comparing it to my Decware Taboo, yes, it has a boat-load more power available, however, the Decware has a much wider sound stage, better channel separation and decay from instruments like cymbals, compared to the Cary.  The channel separation is much better on the Decware and this is especially apparent with songs that feature heavy panning from left to right and back again.

The Cary is running vintage Bugle Boy 6922's, vintage Sylvania 6S7N's, and Ruby 6550's.  

I have been looking at a couple of different paths forward:

Moving to EL34's or another power tube?

Upgrading the internal capacitors such as upgrading to the F1 mod?

A combination of both?

Any other ideas to try to capture the performance of the Decware are welcomed.

Thank You!

paradisecom

Thanks for the detailed reply.  Mine is not a Signature model.  By looking at the font on the top of the unit, it's probably more of a "first-generation' type.  What KT88's did you eventually land on?

I'm searching for a good local technician so hopefully I can fine someone that's not only competent, but not backed up 6 months!

I emailed Cary this morning to see the costs and turn-around time for the F1 upgrade.  We'll see what they have to say.

I emailed Cary this morning to see the costs and turn-around time for the F1 upgrade

I wish you good luck with that.

Your comparison achieved the results I would have predicted.  Cary is a swiss army knife with high power.  Decware keeps it very simple, touches the signal as little as possible, and stays lower power.  

I suggest instead of working on the Cary, you shop for more sensitive speakers and maybe even go SET.  I don't even do push pull any more.  I had a ZMA, it was excellent, but couldn't match an SET.  push pull is a compromise but many make it because it is better than SS and their speakers don't support SET.

Jerry

I looked at changing speakers for a while, but I really like my present speakers, which are Vienna Acoustics.  I have looked at a pair of Omega bookshelves since they are more sensitive and almost bought a pair.  There isn't much else that I have seen that interests me and fits into my budget.  I also thought about picking up a set of those Klipsch RP-600 MII's since they're relatively cheap just to see if I like them.  I still might do that.

I almost think that I'll eventually land on a Decware Torii which should do enough of everything I want.  The just don't come up very often, though.  :\