CDP breaks and I move to computer-based...

...and I don't think it sounds as good. Am I crazy? Same DAC, but instead of CDP => digital coax => DAC, I'm running either toslink or kimber usb to a V-DAC DAC. I dunno, I just feel like the sound isn't quite "there", almost as if it is not as present, or convincing, as if it is lacking something.

The Mac outputs bit perfect, so this should not be an issue. All iTunes/Mac settings are what they should be. I am considering buying another cdp for a transport. Again, am I crazy?
braudio7
I would rather stick with PC audio for the convenience or access to thousands of songs.
What if you have a jitter problem? You could try an affordable re-clocker, like the Monarchy DIP, run toslink into the DIP and then digital coax into your DAC. What was the CDP you were using as transport before?
Memory and processor intensive software, like Photoshop, Final Cut, Form Z, or 3D games, etc., could affect bit-perfect audio playback, even on an OS so perfect as X...
you have to experiment (like with cd player models) what you like. Also it will only reproduce what was a good CD to begin with.
Toslink does not suck. Here is how to fix your problem, purchase a glass toslink cable and you will be shocked at the sound. Plastic toslink cables are HORRID but a good glass cable like I use is every bit as good as my $1500.00 FIM Gold digitla coax. USB has in my experience not been able to match my glass toslink. I have a mac mini with 4 gig ram and a 1TB NAS drive all connected wirelessly a d it is as good and most time better than anything knave owned in the past in including my former Wadia 7...etc
Have to agree with Audiofun here, try the Wireworld Supernova 6 glass toslink, from the CableCo or GCAudio.com. Toslink to mini-toslink connectors I think is what you would need.
I have also read that the Van Den Hul Opticoupler is very good:
http://eugenehifi.com/VanDenHul/htm/van_den_Hul_Digital_and_AV_Cables.htm