CDP or DAC?

I want to get back to playing and enjoying my 500+ cd's!  Been listening 95% of the time to a nice high end turntable $15k+ setup but would also like to have the option of listening to my cd collection to where it sounds at least competitive with my vinyl enjoyment.

I have no interest in streaming just playing cd's.   Does it make more sense to go with a cdp or transport and separate dac?

Budget $5 - $15k.  Thoughts
bobheinatz
bobheinatz OPThinking of Jay’s transport.

Nice transport Bob, ( just don’t go slot loaders) but before buying check with the manufacture what the make and model no. laser is in it and then go "online" to see if they are still available easily and cheap.
(not from the transport manufacture themselves, they could just have heap of NOS that aren’t available anymore)
Nothing worse later on than being stuck with a good transport that needs a new laser you can get cheap/easy or even new from anywhere.

Cheers George
Thank you for all that contributed to this thread. I have decided to buy a nice DAC and dedicated transport. I will be looking at Dac’s in the $5k - $8k range. So many choices!

Good luck! Personally I’d look at either the PS Audio DS or one of Denafrips offerings. I have the weest model from Denafrips, the Ares II, and their Terminator regularly gets amazing reviews.

PS Audio is expecting to start selling the DS v2 late this year or early 2022...the current DS with the new firmware is an excellent machine...
With a budget of 5-15k you can’t do much better than the Hegel Mohican cdp at $5k. So many glowing reviews on line and youtube.