Class A 30 Watt Amps: Are they enough to drive my book shelfs?

Currently looking at buying a Pass Labs XA 30.5 to drive my Kef 201/2 speakers which are rated at 86 DB sensitivity.  Is this a bad move?
puffbojie
Post removed 
I have the 30.8 and I would be shocked if the 30.5 couldn’t completely drive the heck out of those KEF’s. You will never see a more power-underrated amp than these Pass Class A’s. Those speakers are 8 ohm and only dip down 4.2 ohms. The Pass amp can drive 4 ohm speakers with authority. John Atkinson’s measurements showed that it could deliver 195 watts per channel into a 4 ohm load before clipping. And overall it delivers 6dB higher in power. The sound won’t be as magical as say paired with a 90dB speaker (like what I use) but it will get the job done and then some IMO.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/pass-labs-xa305-power-amplifier-measurements
The first point I would make is that your speakers can’t handle more power than the XA30.5 can provide.

John Atkinson’s measurements of your speakers indicate a sensitivity of 85.5 db/2.83 volts/1 meter, close to the published spec. Based on the impedance magnitude and phase angle curves he measured I would consider it to be a 4 ohm speaker **for purposes of SPL (sound pressure level) calculations.**

It should also be noted that the specs for the speaker which are quoted in that review indicate it to be capable of generating a maximum SPL (presumably at 1 meter) of 110 db, and amplifier power of 50 to 150 watts is recommended.

As noted by Three_Easy_Payments in the post just above measurements of the XA30.5 show it to be capable of providing 195 watts into 4 ohms. It will leave class A operation at considerably lower power levels than that, of course. But I wouldn’t be concerned about that, in part because those high power levels are likely to be required, if at all, only during very brief dynamic peaks in the music, and in part because of what is said about "Leaving Class A" by Nelson Pass in this excellent paper.

For a non-planar non-line source speaker, especially a relatively small bookshelf speaker, putting aside the effects of room reflections SPL will fall off at 6 db per doubling of distance. Using the following calculator ...

https://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

... it can be seen that depending on what assumptions are made about placement and room effects the amp/speaker combination will be able to generate SPLs of between 101.7 and 107.7 db at a listening distance of 10 feet, **if** the speaker would not be overdriven and hence caused to perform in a non-linear manner (or worse) by 195 watts. However given the speaker’s limitations I referred to in the third paragraph of this post I would consider slightly more than 101.7 db at 10 feet to be a practical upper limit.

My perception is that many members here are satisfied with equipment providing maximum SPL capabilities at their listening positions that are in the mid-90s, or even less in some cases. However if one’s listening includes recordings having particularly wide dynamic range (i.e., large **differences** in volume between the loudest notes and the softest notes, such as many classical symphonic recordings), that may not be satisfactory. For example, my listening includes some classical symphonic recordings which have been engineered with minimal or no dynamic compression that can generate 105 db at my 12 foot listening distance, while being listened to at average levels of around 75 db or so.

In any event, given the limitations imposed by the speaker’s power handling capability (which is typical of many bookshelf speakers), if 102 or 103 db or so at a distance of 10 feet is not adequate for your purposes the solution would be to change speakers rather than going to a more powerful amp.

Good luck. Regards,
-- Al

@almarg 

For a non-planar non-line source speaker, especially a relatively small bookshelf speaker, putting aside the effects of room reflections SPL will fall off at 6 db per doubling of distance.

Al, yes but doesn't it apply to open space or anechoic chamber only?

I found this published by Benchmark Media (Rules of Thumb)

Rule 13: In a home environment, the SPL at the listening position is about the same as the 1m response of the speaker in an anechoic chamber.

If a speaker has a measured output of 90 dB SPL at 1 meter when fed with one watt, you can expect about 90 dB SPL at your listening position when driving your speaker with one watt. Room reflections supplement the output of the speakers and compensate for the fact that you are more than 1 meter from your speakers. If you are outdoors, this rule does not apply. But, in a typical home listening room, the rule works reasonably well for a quick approximation.

I believe this to be true, since I hear pretty much constant loudness walking in my room. What do you think?
Hi Kijanki,

Al, yes but doesn't it apply to open space or anechoic chamber only? 

Yes, as I indicated the 6 db of falloff per doubling of distance applies if the effects of room reflections are put aside, i.e., if they are not included.

I hear pretty much constant loudness walking in my room. What do you think?

I've seen a number of references over the years indicating that "room gain" typically adds something like 3 db or so to the SPL that is heard at typical distances in typical rooms, for non-planar non-line source speakers.  Obviously that number will vary somewhat depending on the room, its acoustic characteristics, the dispersion characteristics of the speaker at various frequencies, and other variables.

Best regards,
-- Al