Class D Technology

So I get the obvious strengths of Class D. Efficiency, power output & running cool which allows for small form factors. I also understand the weaknesses somewhat. 1. Non-linear & lots of distortion that needs to be cleaned up with an output filter. 
So my question is, if it weren't for efficiency & power, would there be any reason to own a Class D amp? Do they beat Class A in any other categories that count for sound quality?  
seanheis1
^^ Or not. You can't put them all in one basket. That's why this thread is as long as it is.

Class D amps vary in sound due to the fact that some have higher scan frequencies than others, some have more 'dead time' than others, some have more distortion in the input circuit than others, some have cheesy power supplies and some don't, some have feedback and others don't!

atmosphere,

You could use your assessment of Class D with just about any class of amplifier. I'm not questioning the fact that their are better sounding amps out there. The "fact" is the new breed of class D amps can offer very good sound for the buck, and gives a lot of music lovers a chance for that good sound. Many amp manufactures use the Hypex modules with excellent results while making their amps affordable. Just my opinion, but all you guys out there claiming audible switching noise are a little misguided. I own a class D integrated amp and it plays the music pure and simple. Cheers.........

Companies such as Devialet are creating hybrid AD Amplifiers. In theory, that could be the best of both worlds with sound & efficiency. Are the hybrid amps subject to the same issues with phase & bandwidth?  
Devialet was one of the best I heard till date. Yes they are AD Hybrid. Someone mentioned that they are overpriced, however, my experience was completely opposite. I actually saved some money by selling my preamp, dac and previous amp. Many existing Devialet owners are swapping their existing units with the Pro line, which was released last month. You can buy one cheaply on Agon and try it at home. If you don't like it, you can sell it at small loss or break even. They are definitely worth the home audition. If you can get your hands on D250 at a good price, go for it.
Agreed! They save money. I owned one and sold it however once I heard the Lyngdorf 2170 in my system. I liked the Devialet, but the Lyngdorf sounded better on my Harbeth 40.1 and Accoustic Zen Cresendo speakers. The room correction in the Lyngdorf really put it over the top once it read my room and speakers. 

Both are great options for sure. 
Just my opinion, but all you guys out there claiming audible switching noise are a little misguided.
Speak for yourself Kimosabe.

You probably missed the part where I mentioned we have a class D amp in the works, right?