classical sampler?

I'd like to find some classical music, but don't know where to start. Instead of picking a composer ( I guess that's the right word) based on someone's suggestion, I'd like to find a good sampler cd / SACD that will give me a range of composers so I can find out what suites me. I mainly listen to rock and roll. So the heavier classic music would probably fit me better as opposed to the light jazz style if you know what I'm saying. Any help would be appreciated.
snipes
I looked over my collection and I do not have one "sampler" cd of classical music across a broad spectrum of composers and time periods. There are many collection albums that are typically of one composer or classical type (e.g., baroque)

One thing you might consider (that will cost nothing unless you buy) is to use Amazon.com as a resource. The Amazon web site will allow you to listen to 30 to 60 second segments from each piece on a cd. Go into search under "classical music" and type "classical" as your search item (or the name of a composer you've heard of). When I just did that the following was displayed:

1. Classical Music for People Who Hate Classical Music [BOX SET] -- Johann Sebastian Bach, Samuel Barber, Ludwig van Beethoven; Audio CD (Rate it)
Buy new: $14.99 -- Used & new from: $11.60
2. 25 Classical Favorites -- Frank Morelli, Johann Sebastian Bach, Georges Bizet; Audio CD (Rate it)
Buy new: $4.98 -- Used & new from: $2.53
3. The Most Relaxing Classical Album in the World...Ever! -- Johann Sebastian Bach, Léo Delibes, Gabriel Fauré; Audio CD (Rate it)
Buy new: $13.99 --

Then select a cd, scroll down to the sampler section and have a listen. If you like it, buy it.

Actually, the first in the list from Amazon (Classical Music for People Who Hate Classical Music) is a four cd set that has an excellent selection across many composers and time periods. I can't comment on the recording, but it provides a good selection of styles

Once you find something you like, use the library or other sources discussed above to further explore your interest.

I've had a lot of fun seeking and finding new classical music over the years. Sometimes I explore a single composer or branch out to other composers of a similar ilk. I also go to a cd/record store that specializes in classical and ask for suggestions. Last year I asked for assistance on a specific topic on Audiogon (Spanish guitar), got some advice, and now have 30+ cds across several variations of Spanish guitar. For me, there has not been any right or wrong in my selection of classical music, there has only been my own subjective likes and dislikes.
Try the library. It us free and you can rercord what you like. Lot of classical music is like beer or olives, I hated it when I was a kid but I have aquired a taste for it. Classical music is more complex and takes better equipment to reproduce. It is one of the very few acostic type music left. ( I went to a Jazz (large band) concert in a small hall and they had it applified to pain level 1).