Considering the New Tekton Design Encores? AND Owners Group - Experiences/Questions

I am the very happy owner of the first pair of New Tekton Design Encores and I thought I would create this thread to answer any questions anyone might have regarding the Encore speakers, room considerations, and associated equipment. If you’ve order your pair already, please chime in. I really want to hear what other people’s experience are with these unbelievable speakers.

I drive my Encores with both an Art Audio Diavolo SET 300b Tube Amplifier with 8wpc and I switch in my 700w Nord One-Up SE Monoblocks for non-critical listening and some big pieces of music that benefit from the extra power.

• Made under U.S. Patent 9247339 with multiple new patents pending
  • Proprietary loudspeaker design
  • Ultra-linear frequency response with ±.5dB deviation from 70Hz-20kHz
  • One single crossover element placed within the tweeter path
  • Ultra-linear, entirely time-invariant minimum-phase mid-range section
  • Proprietary patent pending 15 dome radiating hybrid MTM high frequency array
  • Two 6.5" mid-bass patented ’overtone & harmonic’ transducers
  • Dual 11" low-frequency transducers
  • ​96dB 2.83V@1m sensitivity
  • 4 Ohm design for optimum performance
  • 20Hz-30kHz frequency response​
  • Dimensions Width 13.25" x Depth 15.25" x Height 62"
  • 800 Watt power handling
  • Weight 175 lbs​
128x128jcarcopo
After waiting about 10 months, My Encores arrived earlier this month and I've been listening to them for the past two weeks.  I had followed jcarpopo's excellent recommendation using a Pass Labs XA25 as a power amp (I was afraid of quickly getting the upgrade bug if I started with a cheaper power amp), and am using a Chord Dave as a DAC for PC audio (music), and a Yamaha AVR 3070 as a preamp in Pure Direct mode (mode that shuts off video circuitry for less noise) for input switching, volume control, and as a DAC for my home theater sources that use HDMI (unfortunately, no HDMI input for the Chord Dave).
For music, even with my high frequency hearing loss, the Encores sound spectacular--lush and with a full and integrated sound.  Midrange is wonderful (particularly with female vocals--KD Lang, Sade, Shelby Lynne--all sound lush and live). Base is tremendous--almost too much base for music--before receiving the Encores I was considering adding one of the Tekton subwoofers to this setup, but after hearing the Encores, I don't think a subwoofer is needed at all, at least for music.  Highs don't particularly stand out as good or bad, though that is almost certain due to my high frequency hearing loss.  The Encores are massive--my wife is convinced and accepts this purchase as a mid-life crisis, but my teenage son who usually is content to listen to music on his small bluetooth streaming speaker or worse, his speakerphone, now enjoys regular listening sessions with me with all kinds of music (his tastes in music differ from mine, but almost everything sounds great in this set-up)--discovering new music in our listening sessions--even if it is sometimes music following my son's eclectic music tastes :( -- is a wonderful new father son activity that brings us closer together.
  No complaints with home theater usage of the Encores either.  Soundtracks for movies and TV shows sound much more live and impactful than the SEAS Pendragons I had been using previously for my music setup and are now in my home theater.
As the Chord Dave has a digital volume control and can serve as a digital preamp (but not for HDMI sources), I tried bypassing the Yamaha and hooked up the Chord Dave directly to the XA25 power amp for music listening.  The resulting sound is somewhat leaner and cleaner, so the Yamaha AVR, even in pure direct mode, appears to be adding some noise to the sound which my brain is interpreting as fullness.  I don't mind this added noise/fullness for most types of music (and for acoustic music the additional fullness is actually more pleasing to my ears), but for louder and more congested music (e.g., hard rock, metal, electronica) the added noise/fullness is a bit of a detriment.  Regularly switching the wiring between source direct and using the Yamaha as a preamp is too much of a pain to do, so after the Encores' sound has settled, I will probably investigate getting an actual preamplifier instead of the AVR which can accept the SEL or balanced outputs from my Chord Dave and the output from my Yamaha AVR for HDMI sources.  I had been thinking of the Schiit Freya+ as a reasonably priced preamp which can alternate between tube mode and solid state model, but additional suggestions for a preamp (particularly any suggestions known to play well with the Chord Dave and/or XA25) would be  welcome. 

the Yamaha AVR, even in pure direct mode, appears to be adding some noise to the sound

What I been sayin’. The only way of doing HT at Encore level is to run stereo, plugging HDMI video directly into your monitor.

Those are some fine speakers. I know, because my Moab are awesome and Encore have to be at least that good. So even more awesome.

My suggestion would be to ditch separates, and all the extra multi-channel stuff, in favor of a Raven Osprey. Then not only your son but your wife too will be joining you and you can all sit there slack-jawed in awe of how good those Encores sound with some quality tube watts running through them.    https://www.ravenaudio.com/product/osprey-mk3/

Thanks.  I am just using the AVR as a DAC for my HDMI sources because most standalone DACs do not accept an HDMI source, and I don't use the multichannel or theater modes--just straight decoding in pure mode.  For music I use a Chord Dave DAC.
While the Osprey looks great, I don't need an integrated amp as I am already using an Pass Labs XA 25 as a power amp.  I just need a pre-amplifier to switch between the the Chord Dave and Yamaha AVR.
I did install an old Oppo HA-1 that I have as a premplifier and the pc audio sound significantly better using the HA-1 as the preamp instead of the AVR.  It will do until I find a better preamp.
@jsoku.  Congrats on your new encores! I have been digging mine.  They took forever to break in. 
As Millercarbon stated "My suggestion would be to ditch separates, and all the extra multi-channel stuff". I couldn't agree more.  Just a kick ass 2 channel is all you need to knock your socks off. Every mid-fi home surround sound system has been mediocre at best, unnatural at worst with the side sounds distracting from the content. I just run a Toslink from my TV to my DAC (Pro-Ject DAC box RS) with excellent results with blu-ray DVD's. On a side note, is it just me or does Netflix and Amazon prime streaming have horribly compressed audio? 
I do have a niggle on the encores, however. I wish the tweeter was lower.  My listening position is higher than the tweeter, causing decreased HF. If the Encore was set up like the Moab/Ulfberht, each woofer at opposite ends of the speaker, it would be an improvement, but perhaps Eric has a good reason why, maybe speaker not quite tall enough.