Crazy to buy a 17 year old CD Player?

My ARC CD2 just died...I think the laser finally gave up the ghost.  Any how I've got thousands of red book CDs in my library and need a replacement player.  I'm thinking an ARC CD 3MKII or the Mark Levinson 390S.  Am I crazy to be thinking this?  Got a budget of around $2000.00.  My system, though dated, is made up of higher end stuff: ARC 25 pre amp, ARC VT 150 mono amps, VPI TNT IV, Wilson Witts, all running through Transparent Reference (Balanced).
cmcdaniel5
I found playing a CD from a SSD music server smoother than from a CD player (and easier).  I would try to spend about a thousand on a music server and a thousand on a DAC. You can upgrade either in the future.  Maybe add DSD or MQA if they are around in 5 years.  Also you can download hi rez. and raid all you buddies CD libraries.  
I have bad experience with old CD players, specifically a Quad CD77 with a CDM 12.4 laser mechanism and a TEAC VRDS 9.
One problem is that in many cases, plastics used on the laser lens housing get polymerized with time.
If the lens itself is made of plastic, the laser fails reading the CD properly. If the lens mount gets polymerized, the laser gets misaligned with obvious results. 
The thing is that even if you get hold of an identical spare part, there is always a risk that its plastics got polymerized just by sitting on a warehouse rack.
Apart from that, components age with time, especially drawer motors and caps.
I would avoid any old CD player, unless I could get it dirt cheap.
Even though I like both of my CD players, I agree with many here, like zagoreos and anzaanimalclinic, CD players have moving parts, power supplies and other parts that can age, create noise, and are not simple devices like a spinning HDD and memory buffer or chip. Too me a computer or streamer device can deliver a cleaner and clearer presentation of the music. That and the fact that digital music is in it’s infancy and is evolving rapidly. I don’t think it will be long before the quality of the sound will match master analog tapes.

Option 1 You can get a $750 streaming device and have $1250 left over for a great DAC. The Bluesound Vault 2 can do both jobs and would allow you to rip all your CDs into it's HDD.
Option 2 Find a used NAD M50.2 (also with the option to rip your CD collection) and prepare to be amazed.

There's a sweet tubed CDP, a Raysonic 228, for sale on USAudioMart.

Original price: $4,000.

Seller is open to offers and seems motivated?

There is also one for sale on CanuckAudioMart for CAD$1,250 (~US$1,000) which should give you some negotiating room.