DAC Measurements vs Actual Experience

I have spent the last two days evaluating which of these two DACs I will be keeping:
1) Benchmark DAC3
2) PS Audio DirectStream

I'm foregoing the use of a dedicated preamp; the chosen DAC will serve that purpose.* 

I had read up on the technical side of each of these exhaustively before purchase. For those of you who aren't familiar, the Benchmark DAC3 measures quite well in every category. The PS Audio DirectStream, on the other hand, not so much. In fact, Audio Science Review places these two near opposite ends of its SINAD (signal-to-noise-and-distortion) list with the PS Audio being positioned near the bottom. Stereophile also provided measurements in their review that painted the PS Audio in an unfavorable light. 

And yet the DirectStream is proving to provide a sound that is more, dare I say, musical. It's a bit more relaxed, sounding a tad reserved in comparison to the DAC3, and the presentation of 100 Hz and lower seems to be slightly vague, but it's also less edgy, possessing a better soundstage, and is overall ever-so-slightly more enjoyable. So what am I doing wrong?

* Is it worth considering putting a dedicated preamp downstream of the DAC3 in hopes of gaining a more favorable sound? 
sixfour3
In my very personal experience (with top ML components, and X350.5 PASS) the answer is a straight YES. 
A good preamp WILL make a difference, and the better measuring DAC might actually come to the fore!
Seriously, 
Michélle 🇿🇦 
No I wouldn't think putting a preamp after the Benchmark would matter unless it's a tube preamp. Both DACs are performing as expected IMO. 
If any of either if these DACs uses bit-stripping for volume control, a pre WILL make a difference for sure!

The ML390S processor e.g. uses resitor ladders in the analogue domain for volume control, and STILL, going straight (circumventing the volume control) into the ML326S pre, just sounds more 'normal' (less hyped up digital). 

Unless maybe you are considering using a top dCS type DAC straight into your amp, a good pre, and even a solid state one, will make for a more natural sound quality. 

Test it out for yourself and you'll hear.
I 'm not the only one that made that experience either.

That thread by Whitecamaros and his ongoing amp testing endeavours, came to a similar conclusion quite more recently, if you care to read through the tail end of his very long thread, - and incidentally so did John Atkinson of Stereophile some time back as well

So, listen and find out for yourself - since there is disagreement already on this issue. 
Michélle 🇿🇦 

Big difference between accurate and personal preference. The Benchmark may be a far more accurate DAC, but that does not mean for you it is the better DAC.  If you have some ability to set absolute volume though, try to listen at exactly the same volume. One thing you can be confident in, you are not doing anything wrong.
One particular way in which the PS Audio DAC purportedly falls down is the level of noise, possibly due in some way to the use of a transistor output. I confess that I'm not well versed in circuit topology and the idiosyncrasies of certain configurations, but the reviewer from Audio Science Review speculated that that could be the cause.

Another shortcoming is the somewhat limited dynamic range as compared to the Benchmark. I was especially concerned about this given that I have inefficient (86dB/watt/m) speakers. If my logic is correct, a diminished dynamic range with those speakers might make it more difficult to distinguish transients and also some of the more subtle inflections in music. So far, this hasn't borne itself out in my real-world tests. But that's one way in which I'm doubting my own hearing. *Should* I be able to tell a difference here between DACs? 

The level of detail that each DAC is able to extract from the program material, at least as far as I can discern, is virtually identical. The female vocals in the final 2 minutes of Roger Waters' "Amused to Death" has been my go-to challenge for a component's ability to convey delicate nuance. Neither DAC has demonstrated any apparent advantage. 

As far as stepped volume control goes, the DirectStream touts a "bit perfect" digital method. I'll take their word for it. I'm not sure what the Benchmark's configuration is, but I cannot detect any deterioration of performance at any of the levels I've tried (all further clockwise than the 12 o'clock position). I'm evaluating each at the same volume, or as close to the same volume as possible, such that I cannot tell the difference. I'm sitting in a quasi-near-field position relative to the speakers (~6 feet away), mostly using a volume where the system is conveying energy convincingly, but falls well short of concert-level volume. Evaluations have also been made at more "whisper" levels with volume control being done using my streaming device.  

The differences that I'm honing in on have more to do with grain, soundstage and the admittedly vague descriptor of "musicality" than anything else. But I have this nagging feeling that I need to be listening for something more; something that enables me to look at my experience critically compared to the measurements and say, "Ah, yes. There's where my perception is supported by the data." And yet, that's not happening.

These two units each bring a very strong game. I would probably be quite happy with either of them. And yet, I don't want to get this decision wrong. Maybe what I'm asking for here is a "listening lesson" from experienced audiophiles. But to the larger issue, do perceptions and measurements often disagree?