Decca cartridge experiences

I really don't expect any response to this as the issue of Deccas, and all the controversies they stirred up is now passé, but does anyone out there own and use a Decca, and if so, did you find a tonearm which will accomodate it? I'd appreciate it if anyone shared their experiences with it, good or bad. I've found two tonearms in which it will work well: one a Mayware tonearm in which it works superbly, and one a Maplenoll air-bearing 'table with fluid damping trough, but I'm having a bit of trouble getting this combo to work again (I've only recently re-acquired the Maplenoll)...I'll have to fiddle with viscosity, amount of fluid and so on.

To all those who haven't had a chance to hear this cartridge, and who like to experiment and have fun (and tear their hair out), then a Decca still has the most slam of any cartridge, and retrieves an incredible amount of detail from the groove. Though these days it no longer sells for pocket change (the Super Gold goes for $850, but there are cheaper models), it's still not in the stratosphere like so many others. It is dificlt to find a tonearm which will accomodate it as well.

I'd appreciate as well any experiences with the new versions, as I hear the new stylus profile makes it less difficult. I think the responses will be "0", but any cartridge which stirred up this much controversy (at least a while ago) is Good News, like the Shelter (which is far more accomodating, however)...Thank you for your attention, if any attention there is...
johnnantais
Hi Adrian, I answered on the other thread, but here goes anyway: the Lenco is very a stable and neutral performer once rebuilt an dre-plinthed, and a good arm-cartridge match elsewhere should be even better on the Lenco, due to its easily-heard speed stability. I have to say that though the Decca International is a cheapie, at least in its cheesy plastic incarnation (there is a heavy-duty metal version), it is incredibly musical and PRaT-adept! Thanks for the info on the new stylus profile!
Hai ive got the London decca super gold now playing for a week .
That thing is cheap and amazing and your transformer can get out of the signalpath.
keywords :
live sounding.
detail
music
dynamic
body.

It makes the mc s that i have rather uninvolving and slick sounding.
Just got my 1967 vintage FFSS MkIV C4E back from a rebuild (John Wright - the guy who builds all the current London Deccas). This is something else -it just wipes the floor with my Garrott Brothers Gold. I had heard that the older FFS carts esp the MKIVs were the bees knees and so I've been searching for a C4E for some time and came across one just before Christmas. 10 days later and GBP168 later, it came back with a rebuild and fine line re-tip.

It has all the usual Decca attributes - slam, dynamics, taut bass etc. But it adds on all the other bits you get with a top class MC - massive soundstage and depth, subtle harmonic rendition, delicacy but with grunt. It's amazing, just jaw dropping. My Garrott Gold and Allaerts MC1B are getting very little airplay now.

Best wishes,

Charlie
www.charlie-chan.co.uk
Topoxforddoc, can you please tell us more about the cartridge? I have never heard of it.
Tbg,

The FFSS Mark IV was two generations prior to the current Mark VI Gold/Maroon. The Mark V was the Decca Grey/Blue; the Mark V was the first version to use the now familiar metal body. The Mark IV came either in a standard 1/2 inch mount or as an integral headshell using the Decca (Not SME) fitting. The 1/2 mount versions were the C4E (elliptical) & SC4E (Special C4E elliptical - these were the best C4E items off the line) and the C4RC (conical tip). The integral version was the H4E (elliptical).

My C4E is plastic/bakelite bodied and weighs 12g in standard 1/2 inch mounting form. The geometry in the headshell is the same as the current Deccas. I believe Geoirge Hadcock (Hadcock tonearms) had one permanently mounted on his personal TT. Some Decca aficianados think that the C4E is the best Decca cartridge apart from the Reference.I can't confirm that as I haven't heard a Reference. What I can say though is that it makes my Garrott Gold sound flat and two dimensional!!!

The C4E is remarkable having all the Decca attributes of attack & dynamics as well as a truly big scale 3 dimensional sound stage. It also has subtlety and delicacy too like a top MC.

There are some reviews of the Decca C4E and C4RC on the Gramophone archives from 1967 and 1968 - you can just google them.

Best wishes,

Charlie
www.charlie-chan.co.uk