Dedicated phono-pre for MM only?

Hi All,
the subject of phono-pres, specifically 'adapted' to MM came up in some related postings.

IF, and only if, MMs are much to ones liking --- why spend your buck on some 'halve backed' 60dB plus, MC gain requirement, stage? Why not consider put the $$$ into a TOP 40dB gain stage of either SS or tube?

Raul had more thoughs on the subject as he mentioned before, and might share, why he knows that a TOP MM compared to MC stage circuit requirement might NOT be -one suit fits all-.

There could even be a nice argument to fit a tube gain stage only into an otherwise SS only system!?

Again, the $buck saved on the 20dB plus circuitry could be translated into the BEST circuit for an MM.
I realise, that most such stages were simply fitted inside some older TOP pre-amps, (e.g. Jadis...).
I have not come across a **dedicated** , current 40dB stage neither in nor outside a pre-amp.

Thank you,
Axel
axelwahl
The review is about the more expensive version, the Vinyl Reference. I've encountered more so so reviews on the Vinyl One (the less expensive version) on the internet as well. Somebody told me that the Art Audio Reference is a retrofitted version of the K&K Maxxed out Kit. Going back to the idea of using the MM input of a good preamplifier instead, what about the John Curl MM design that Audible Illusions offered as an option in the AIM3A? Pablo.
That's a review of the Vinyl Reference, their more expensive phono stage, driven by an MC cartridge, so its relevance to the present discussion is limited.
I guess this thread is on its last legs, or already dead. I for one would love to hear from anyone who is using a vintage phono stage with an MM cartridge.