Does Every Track Sound Great on Your System?

How do you know if it is the recording or your system?

By way of example with a focus on bass, for some songs I like the amount of bass, then another song I feel like it needs more bass to hit harder, and then another song I feel like there is too much bass and it is boomy. Does that ever happen to you? I feel like I am getting the treble sorted out, but going back and forth on the bass.

Can anyone listen to the first 20 second of the song Temptation by Diana Krall from the Girl In The Other Room album and let me know if there is a bass component that is a bit much? The vocals sound good so no issue there.

Thanks.

12many

@ghdprentice +1.  I find myself almost always being drawn into the music rather than listening to my system. I often find myself tapping my feet in time.  I never really thought about it the way you expressed it.

@danager & @tablejockey   "Optimize the bass for each song or shoot for an average that sounds best for most and live with it."  I identify with this.  I listen to music that ranges from electronic dance or club music to solo vocals and it is hard to get it all right.  

@knotscott I can adjust the bass by plugging a port or there are jumpers on the back of my speakers that can bump the bass up or down a db.  I am wearing out the carpet though by adjusting it for one song, and then the next it is not right so I adjust it again.  

@jastralfu Thanks.  Glad you get the bass in that portion of the song.  It is a bit much on my system for my ears and I like bass.  Maybe it is my room or a node or something.  

@ghdprentice   You know what I am doing and you are spot on with my mind set.  I am hyper analyzing the sound because I am evaluating a new amp.  You know how it is when testing out new gear - I am in that mode and trying to decide whether to keep it or box it up.   I love the mids and treble, but it is more bassy.   I am getting lost in the  mids and treble for songs so I am understanding what you are saying - I just have to play another song.   I find myself lost emotionally in a higher percentage of songs then before but then on some songs, but not all, the bass is too much.   Might just be the song or I don't like songs with too much bass or particular frequency or maybe a room node.  Yet on other songs I love the extra richness and power in the low frequencies so I don't want to tone down the bass on those songs.    

We are all chasing perfection on a budget.

@12many   Can anyone listen to the first 20 second of the song Temptation by Diana Krall from the Girl In The Other Room album and let me know if there is a bass component that is a bit much? The vocals sound good so no issue there.

As requested, I’m listening to track 3 “Temptation” right now. The upright base is in perfect balance with the rest of the music. Very taunt with no overhang. If you’re running full range speaker, you may consider pulling them out from your walls as others had suggested. If it’s subwoofer/satellite combo, you need to dial down your subs. But if your speakers have a one note problem, then you need better speakers. But try above suggestions first.

Just my humble suggestions.