Donald Fagen-Sunken Condos

Just got done listening twice to the new Donald Fagen CD "Sunken Condos". It's EXCELLENT!

Typical Fagen/Steely Dan affair, but a little more funky. Actually, it could have been a new Steely Dan album.

Yes, I am biased because Steely Dan is my favorite band, so they could probably sing the phone book and I would like it, but this really is a very good new album.

I favorite tracks are: "Good Stuff", "I'm Not The Same Without You" and "Out Of The Ghetto".

I'm still shacking my "groove thang" and the the CD has been over for awhile. This album seems to stay with you...
128x128mofimadness
Wolf-garcia,
I think it's deliberate. Somewhere on the 'Gon there is a thread about Morph when it first came out. Somebody posted that they took that CD to dealers to evaluate the low end performance of speakers, and somebody else in the thread jumped all over them saying that the bass on that album is bloated and exaggerated and should never be used to evaluate anything. I also have the vinyl and if anything, the bass on that version is MORE pronounced!
Onhwy61...thanks for the link to the article. Very interersting. It's kinda neat that they can record specific instruments in specific studio rooms to get the best sound out of each of them. Then mix them all together for the final album.

I still think this is an excellent recording and record.
I thought the talk about money constraints was interesting. But what really opened my eyes was that Fagen recorded his demos using Garageband. I also liked the insights about getting the drum groove without making it metronome precise.
Really interesting article, thanks for posting the link, Onhwy61!

Okay, so what I now know is that Sunken Condos sounds all closed in, muffled and dry because that's the sound they were going for. Which mystifies me completely, but there you go.