EMT 927 vs. Micro Seiki 5000 or 8000 - different?

Did any one test those machines in the same set up? What was the outcome? Idler-Drive in its best built quality vs. the well rated heavy belts from Japan.
thuchan
Hi Bourse,
thanks a lot. This is a very valuable assessment, also extending to the Technics SP10 MKIII and the results which I would underline as well, having tested a MK II in my set-up (not a MK III yet).

I will be ready for my final assessment at around 20th of March.
is it possible to watch your set up somewhere?
At the moment I am moving 1000kms to my new home in western France...otherwise you would be welcome to visit. Intuition tells me that you live within driving distance.

I have owned almost every large Japanese highend turntable, supplied 5 Technics mk3's for famous USA project/products...lol...and had a few nice EMT machines.

I am currently planning a 5 way architectural horn system using Audio Note compression drivers, so this will be a good test for allcomers. I have around 2/3 of the components.

The MK3 is a good turntable but the hype surrounding it has grown exponentially over the last 3 years. The prices paid now are very high, although they do reflect an ongoing move away from more risky audio assets (like gold and silver)! :) Perhaps they also reflect the relatively mediocre performance of more modern equipment...

Depending on rarity I certainly would not pay over the odds for a 927...I think you have my private email.

Bourse.
Hi Bourse,
Yes we are meeting here...going from east to west! How are the French lessons going? May need to learn German myself as all this hammertone stuff is well documented! Need to hear the 5 way YL/AN horned system....
Take care
your intuition is pretty good Bourse. We are not so far away in Europe. Currently I am exploring remote islands in the South China Sea. When I am back and did survive I will check my e-mail lists.

So we are both building up horn systems, I decided to go for TAD Berryllium drivers. A very well known German technology advisor supports me in this challenge to match better with my nearly completly tube based system.

I guess 1000 km west means at the sea side? not a bad location at all.
The EMT 927 is very similar to other professional 16" broadcast turntables- large platter, large powerful motor, large bearing, idler drive.

The hype around the 927 is the typical hype around EMT. I own an EMT 950 BBC Widebody, by the way, along with most of the other decks discussed in this thread.

The people jumping onto the 927 bandwagon have no experience with the big Fairchilds, Gates, Rek O Kut's, Commonwealth and other more obscure 16" broadcast tables, and so their enthusiasm may be excused, but there is nothing very mysterious about the performance of these decks compared to belt drive.

The downside of the EMT 927 is pretty steep, though. The price is ridiculous, but worse, you have to use the poor EMT 997 arm, or the earlier Ortofon. Because the arm must be mounted to the chassis of the 997, your flexibility is gone. And, as another poster has said, you just spent the equivalent of a nice new family car on something that really just earns you bragging rights on forums like this one.

The EMT phonostage is not a contender, either.

Jonathan