Found Great Seller - Plinth for Technics 1200 GAE

In 2016, when I ran across a NOS Technics 1200 GAE (the anniversary edition) I had to buy it.

Aesthetics matter to me. While the original SL 1200 design was pretty amazing, I thought it had grown a bit tired by the 2010s/2020--especially for a $5k deck.

Getting a wood plinth for the G series seemed a little tricky as some of the tolerances, down the millimeter, did not match up.

I found a guy on Etsy who took the precise measures of the GAE and made me a beautiful wood plinth. You can see his listing/shop here:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1145878005/last-units-av-zocalo-de-madera-mongoy?ref=yr_purchases

Surprisingly fast turnaround and shipping (got the plinth in 2 weeks from order, shipped from Madrid). Price was reasonable.

Highly recommended. Now, my table is more pleasing to my subjective eye and it’s easier to clean around since the plinth keeps dust out from the feet and undercarriage.

I have no affiliation with the seller/craftsman. Just a nice experience and I’m pleased.

File this under positive post, happy audiophile customer.

PS Little tweaks like this saved me from doing something silly like selling the GAE.

128x128jbhiller

Hello everyone,

I'm Jose from Plinthsforturntables >>> my online store on Etsy.

First of all, thank you very much for your nice comments to Jbhiller, I'm very glad that you are satisfied with your Technics plinth :)

On the other hand, I wanted to thank Avanti1960 for his comments, and in passing comment that he is referring to floating plinths, which need the use of the platter system to keep the plinth in its floating system. This is a subject that can give for many hours of talk, but that is constantly improving, and that at the moment enjoys an update in the fixation mechanics that has improved the stability issue notably.

I would like to point out that the socket model referred to by Jbhiller is the XL model. 
 This model does NOT use the floating system, due to the sensitivity of the legs of the GAE/GEG model, so it totally dissociates itself from the probable handicaps that Avanti1960 has mentioned.

Keep in mind that every invention in this life, needs an idea, a design, its trial and error, and that we are talking about a very striking and particularly elegant product that can be loved by some and rejected by others, the work in these things is millimetric :)
 I also invite you to write me, if you like, privately for any questions. I will be happy to help with schematics, photos, videos, etc.

I would like to upload some photos of the XL plinth  but I can't find the way at the moment! (help would be great in this point :)

All the very best
Jose

Jose, 

Thank you again!  I'll get pictures posted asap. It's been insanely busy here with the holidays.  

Lovely base!  It fits like a glove. 

That’s a base not a plinth. The plinth is the bit that supports both the platter and tonearm.

That's so funny.

For those of us for whom English is our first language, a plinth is a base - example being the square base under the greek columns.

It derives from the greek word plinthus which means tile or brick. 
Thereafter the Latin word plinthus which was shortened by the English to "plinth".

The English expanded the use of the word to describe the bases for vases and urns.

Perhaps you could write to the folk that compile the Merriam Webster dictionary, the predominant American dictionary, to advise them of this new definition.

A Part that serves as an anchor point for both Platter Bearing Housing and Tonearm, as well as having the TT's controls mounted on it, is OK to be referred to as a Chassis.

A Chassis can be found to be mounted on a Exotic Design as a Plinth, a Basic Design as a Plinth and on some alternate designs no Plinth is used, Tinned Vegetables have been used as the Supporting Mount.

A Plate in the form of Metal, Wood or Plastics solely used to support the Platter Spindle Housing, Motor and Tonearm is OK to be referred to as a Chassis or Plinth.

Some Designs come with a dedicated Sub-Plate produced from similar or identical material to the Chassis or Plinth. The additional Sub-Plate is OK to be referred to as a Sub-Plinth or even a Sub Sub-Plinth depending on the tiers in place for the assembly. 

Tomatoes being pronounced as Tomartoes - Tomaytoes seems to be the description being questioned.  

Wow! The takeaway wasn't supposed to be a linguistic exercise.  Jose in Madrid just makes good wood boxy things that ensconce the 1200 G and GAE series.