full-scale orchestral music—best test of speakers’ potential?

Here’s a general observation made after visiting many rooms and listening to many loudspeakers at CAF: full-scale orchestral music, i.e. recordings of large symphony orchestras, provide the most demanding test of a speaker’s abilities.  I’d argue this for two reasons.

1. Audio systems attempt to create a simulacrum of an acoustic event in your living room.  That original event may have occurred in a tiny jazz club or a huge arena, and everything in between.  That is to say, the space in which it occurred may be very similar in size to your listening room, or it may be very different.  Given the size, on stage, of a full orchestra, and given the size of the auditoriums where they play, it’s very challenging for a system to reproduce the impression of that size in your living room—none are perfect, but some are better than others in providing the right kinds of cues.

2. Another variable here is that the music played may have been acoustic or electronically amplified.  Recordings of acoustic instruments and voice remove one extra step in the long chain of reproduction: we know pretty much what a violin should sound like, but what should a certain Gibson guitar through a certain Peavey amp sound like?

Massed violins playing fortissimo are the most stringent test of a speaker’s treble range.  In room after room, I heard rock, pop, jazz, blues, folk, etc. etc. reproduced really very beautifully, but often when an orchestral piece came on, it could sound harsh, steely, astringent, nails on chalkboard.  The fault of the recording, you say.  But a few speakers (I’m not naming names, to avoid that kind of argument), didn’t do that, and sailed through the test.

128x128twoleftears
I would agree that the best test track is at least an example of the type of music you listen to most of the time.
Unless you listen to one thing and it does it perfectly. Then it would be a perfect system.
Post removed 
@twoleftears 

My apologies - you are correct in distinguishing polarity from phase. In my mind, a 180 degree phase shift is equivalent to a polarity flip; but they are not the same strictly defined. I'm using a Wyred4Sound STP-SE preamp which provides a "PHASE" button which does the 180 degree changeover. BTW the STP-SE is the best preamp I have ever owned - dead quiet, completely transparent - a true straight wire with gain.

@mapman 

Thanks for your concern. I just went through a very difficult four years. For two of those years I didn't listen to my system even once - dark times. I've been slowly rediscovering my system and my music collection over the last few months. As of now I'm back in the Audiophile saddle as it were: listening to Furtwangler conducting the VPO (1952 mono - the performance transcends the modest recording quality and mono - it is that good) performing Beethoven's Eroica and I'm getting chills listening to the first movement. The interplay between the strings and the horn trio in the Coda for me is one of the greatest musical sentences ever penned. IMHO the Eroica must have been a titanic earth-shaking work for it's time; I can only imagine the reaction of audiences of the day having their baroque and classical sensibilities shaken to the core by this truly romantic work.

For me, the music is always first, front and center. The equipment is merely mechanism in service to that higher purpose. For me, the Walsh 5000s humbly and dutifully produce beautiful music and never call attention to themselves, like true performers. No other loudspeaker sends me like the Walshs.

My personal regards - I trust that you prosper.