fuses - the $39 ones or the 85 cent ones

My Rogue Cronus recently blew a slow blow fuse. I was surfing to find a replacement. The stock fuse is a typical metal end cap, glass and "wire" fuse. The audio emporiums only seemed to offer these $39 German gold plated end wunderkinds. I finally found "normal" fuses from a guitar amp site. Has anyone tried the uber fuses and found the sound better? Hard to understand how it could be. Thanks for any thoughts.
joe_in_seattle
Timrhu, I guess you are suggesting that some tweaks, components, etc. have greater impact than others. I certainly don't deny that given my experiences. I think that DBT advocates typically go further saying that they would have to have differences "proven" to them for some tweaks as they "don't believe anyone can explain why they would make a difference." I would not bother to "prove" anything in audio to another person. I really don't care whether or not they buy the tweak. I do believe that many of these people expect that DBTesting would show few if any differences would be noted in DBTs. If so, how they choose their component baffles me or how they would improve their system would seem impossible.

DBTs seldom, if ever, find humans can hear a difference. It is somewhat complicated but by logic you can never "prove" an hypothesis, but one counter finding can "disprove" an hypothesis. This is why researchers evaluate a null hypothesis, such as Democrats and Republicans vote the same, and then seek enough confidence to reject that hypothesis. But in DBTs the null hypothesis that there are no differences is mainly supported by the research, so they accept the null hypothesis, which cannot logically be done. It is just for this particular study and its measurements and design that anything can be said. Nothing can be generalized.

Magfan, you say, "If, in your own home, you have someone swap / not swap fuses and can not relieably tell the difference, than it makes no difference. period." Absolutely wrong! You hear no difference but others might. Certainly you would concede that a better more revealing system might reveal differences. But you should not buy whatever it is that you are trying. You certainly would or should concede that you may be biased to hearing no difference as others maybe to hearing a difference. I am quite empirical about this thinking you should try it and see. I would paraphrase your sentence to be-If, in your own home, you have someone swap fuses and hear a difference, then there is a difference. Period. Sometimes this swapping may not be easily done double blind, such as removing all room treatments, and sometimes it cannot be made quickly as cables may take hours to settle down.
Tried that with my older ML (replaced the stock with premium fuse in only one speaker). Same signal was fed to both speakers.
Sorry, heard no difference. YMMV.

Mariusz
Yeap,
same signal was send to both that made the evaluation that much easier. A/B-ing left speaker to right speaker show no difference......to my ear. But, it was a while ago and it could prove its qualities on more resolving system though.
I am not in the rush to try that again.

I am not doubting it works but just reporting my 2c.

Mariusz
The audiotweek

Interesting finding - but of course we're talking fuses here, and your talking no protection at all.

Confounding this entire topic is the use of contact enhancers like Walker SST and Quiksilver on the end of fuses, both standard and premium variety.

This would also raise the question is a standard fuse with contact enhancer better than a premium fuse without?

I can try this test at some point since I have a jar of Quicksilver.

The problem is that according to the literature it takes some time to break in, due to the oil based carrier.

Having played with QUicksilver, I have not heard a difference once applying and listening again. But of course they back up their product with actual conductance tests, so I feel the science is sound.

A friend who made me some AC cables saw the QUicksilver I brought over to coat the ends of the AC wire before inserting into the AC plug, and he told me that gold paste is a commonly used item in high tech industries to enhance conductivity.

WIth that in mind, I don't care if I actually hear an immediate difference.

The theory is sound and makes intuitive sense.

If a tweek or series of tweeks in inexpensive enough (relative to the high cost many of us have invested) then I don't mind if say out of the 10 tweeks I do, 3 of them may be excellent, 4 of them may yield moderate to small results, and 3 don't work at all. I'm still ahead of stock form, and the cumulative effects add up to nice gains.

I will say this. Using the Cleanwave function of my PS Audio powerplant has always yielded results on the subtle side, so I often don't use it. I tried it the other night after many months, and with the recent tweeks I have done, (positioning, room treatment, and tube rolling) the effect became quite noticeable.

My point being the sonically useless tweek of today, may tomorrow yield results as more attention is paid to bottlenecks further up and downstream.

I have another point to make about listening in general.

Often when I hear a truly excellent system, I am not immediately able to
discern all it's positive qualities.

It's only after hearing it for quite a while, and with different recordings that all of a sudden I hear a vocal (for example) that is much cleaner or more natural, or easier to hear reverb or mic coloration) than I am used to.

Many times in the past I have found systems to be better performers than my hearing is acclimated to. I liken it to a novice wine conneseaur's tastebuds/brain not being refined enough to tell the difference between a fine bottle and an average one. Does it mean that the difference doesn't exist? No, only that the observer couldn't discern a difference.

And that is how my ear has become refined to the State that is is now.
Dougdeacon probably hears subtleties of VTA and timing that would elude me (at least until he pointed them out (or the lack of) in various examples to let me experience it for myself)

So just because a tweek doesn't appear to help, doesn't mean that it isn't having a positive affect.