Glanz moving magnet cartridges

Hi,

I have just acquired an old Glanz G5 moving magnet cartridge. However, I cannot find out any details about this or the Glanz range or, even the company and its history.

Can anyone out there assist me in starting to piece together a full picture?

Any experiences with this or other Glanz's; web links; set up information etc would be warmly received. Surely someone knows something!

Thanks in hope
dgob
Thanks Dgob - yes you are absolutely right on both counts. I initially setup the VTA/SRA with tonearm parallel to record and was pleased - then read that shibata stylus likes a high VTA to work best - I have a pete riggle VTAF on my arm so increasing VTA was easy - hit the sweet spot with just over 1/4 inch arm raise - wow! Also seemed to "cure" the previous tendency for the cartridge to bottom out on a warp.
Which Glanz would you suggest I look out for?

Regards
Steve
Steve,

Excellent news.

On the Glanz, I would recommend the G5 integrated as the best I've heard and the G7 and/or MFG 71L or E as the alternative options. You can see the bulk of comments and issues regarding these in the above posts of this thread.

Not withstanding clear set up challenges for the former two integrated cartridges, REALLY, REALLY GREAT cartridges - particulary the former.

Happy listening and hunting
Hi All,

Those looking to optimise their vinyl replay can currently get hold of an Audio Technica AT666 EX pneumatic stabilizer. There's one currently going on eBay:http://cgi.ebay.com/Audio-Technica-AT666-EX-disc-stabilizer-pump-etc-/200516997374?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eafbe90fe.

Hi All,

Just spent an enforced length of time re-aquainting myself with my Glanz's. I can only reaffirm my claim that the G5 is a very superior cartridge and I would desperately urge anyone who has the opportunity to grab it. I am aware that they rarely appear but I truly believe they are worth any efforts to get hold of.

I write this partially stunned by the music presently playing in the background.

As always...