Help me build out my first system

Hi All,

New Audiogon member here, been a lurker for some time; thanks for all the tremendous info! I’m in the process of building out my first system and am hoping for some recommendations on streamer/dac and preamp. A friend has been kind enough to set me up with a McCormack DNA-1 (not yet in my possession) and a pair of Focal/JM Labs Electra 926s from a client who wanted to upgrade. 

At this point I’m trying to put together two sets of options: First, which components might really make the setup sing, not worrying much about budget (without going too nuts). And second, assuming a budget around $3000-$4000, what’s the best I can do?

The setup will live in a 14’x24’ room, and I’m in the process of building some panels for appropriate room treatment. Tidal is currently my preferred source, but am open to change based on compatibility req’s or being convinced of a better alternative for this application. I’d also like to allow for incorporation of a new turntable down the road. 

Am I thinking about this the right way? Thanks for your thoughts 

kdammeyer

@kdammeyer Wrote:

@janewyman can you explain the added benefit of having four (presumably one for each component)? I can’t imagine it’s an issue of power draw, is it for isolation purposes?

Another reason for multiple circuits besides dedicated power draw. see my previous post dedicated power circuits here.

Mike

in your budget (3 times what my system is worth) I truly don't get why you would bother with multiple circuits. It's like putting Ferrari wheels on a Kia. 

And Kia has become a great car....

@pureclarity Yes, the DNA-1 is subject to the input board failing due to age and it’s basically fatal when it happens and requires a complete rebuild of the amp. This happened with my DNA-0.5 and there’s no telling how long it will last, but at some point it will fail. The OP can call SMcAudio (who designed/built the amp) for more info if desired.

@soix @pureclarity I did come across that thread recently, and has been noted. Much appreciated. My cost of acquiring the DNA-1 makes the risk worthwhile, perhaps I will go for an upgrade down the line. I know there have been discussions on the merits of upgrade vs. replacement. For another day

@boxcarman wrote:

This one costs nothing.  Have one of you experienced listener friends over and help tweak the room for wall and corner reflections.  Even the top-notch systems will sound bad if you don't address this issue.  Just go to an audio show and experience a hastily set up hotel room versus a room designed for high quality sound.  Some audio stores' listening rooms will show you what a difference it makes.  I have heard inexpensive systems in a well designed room outperform others costing much more

Couldn’t agree more! Working in the trades and as a musician, I’ve had the good fortune to work on some extraordinary media/listening rooms and spend time in some great recording studios…some cursory measurements in rooms with/without the panels hung yield some very stark differences. At the moment I happen to have enough Corning 703 on hand to cover my whole house. I’ve experimented with hanging mass loaded vinyl for lower frequencies, covered by a slatted wood enclosure to add some diffusion. Measuring and tweaking a room is a great joy. Have been fighting the good fight on this one for a while with my bass guitar amplification! Look forward to learning more about others’ experiences…no doubt there are some existing discussions on here. 

in your budget (3 times what my system is worth) I truly don't get why you would bother with multiple circuits. It's like putting Ferrari wheels on a Kia. 

And Kia has become a great car....

@grislybutter Under a different circumstance I might agree with you. I work in the trades so happen to have the materials I’d need in my garage from past jobs. My setup will be on the first floor and basement ceiling below is unfinished so easy access, and I don’t need to bring somebody in to do it. For the cost of two hours of my time, it seems silly not to do it. Some find it totally unnecessary, some won’t live without it; I can see the merits so why not, if for no other reason than peace of mind (or to do some testing and prove myself wrong)!

However an attempt at save my time and money is always appreciated!