High end stereo preamps? Worth it?

So we know the higher end preamps don’t include dacs and phono stages.  Highly desirable noise free devices.  I hear wonderful things about these preamps, Luxman, Accuphase, Audio Research, etc.

Are they as good as represented? 

emergingsoul
@alfa100

my experience exactly with Antelope Zodiac Platinum +10m. If the phono preamp has enough gain even analogue sounds better through the Zodiac than the preamp.
I have a audio research ref 5 preamp on one system and a boulder 810 on another.   I couldn’t see living without them.   I’m using the LUMIN family of streamer/DACs.   
I recently purchased a benchmark lA4 to match up with a first watt SIT 3, and I find the benchmark to be quite remarkable regardless of its relatively low cost.   
Look no further than the Audio Illusions Modulus 3B w the Curl MC phono stage. I’ve tried a lot of the above pre amps, and the M3B is, by far, the best for the money (did someone say best?). 
Disclosure: Currently running Lamm ML2.1s, ARC CD9se, and W/P 8s. 
Paul McGowan used to think that the best preamp is no preamp, i.e. only level control. He's a convert. He's a firm believer that "a great preamp is essential. Its contribution to overall sound quality cannot be ignored." 

If you're into DIY you can build a preamp pretty cheaply that matches, and in some ways exceeds, the specs of any of the high end preamps, and has a sterling reputation for audio quality.
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/high-gain-opamp-based-preamp-for-low-output-mc-cartr...