High end stereo preamps? Worth it?

So we know the higher end preamps don’t include dacs and phono stages.  Highly desirable noise free devices.  I hear wonderful things about these preamps, Luxman, Accuphase, Audio Research, etc.

Are they as good as represented? 

emergingsoul
If you're into DIY you can build a preamp pretty cheaply that matches, and in some ways exceeds, the specs of any of the high end preamps, and has a sterling reputation for audio quality.
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/high-gain-opamp-based-preamp-for-low-output-mc-cartr...
  It's really only jewelry! lol 
.  i get that all the time  when i drive my SS  next to a Mustang GT ..
 It's really only jewelry!
Hi-end preamps absolutely make a big difference. Sorry to inform you but I’ve found that a great preamp will sound much better than a very good preamp. Now the right question to ask, which are the great preamps.   You cannot go by price as that can be very
misleading. I personally found that the best way for me to find a top performing component was to ask die-hard friends of mine that been in this hobby for AT LEAST 30 YRS for their top picks. 
Ah the "great preamp vs no preamp" question.
So how can anything be better than zero distortion?  Its tough, but possible in one of three ways.

1. It adds a euphonic distortion that you like.. nothing wrong with this, its what a Piano's sounding board does.
2. Its gain allows other components to work within their ideal range
3. It provides needed impedance matching
So is not crazy, but in an otherwise well balanced and engineered system (huge caveat in real life) its a tall order
I use one. Of course i have prototypes stuffed everywhere :-)
G
Hi lowtubes, very interested in a few preamp tube refs. Thanks.

hi iitsjustme 
great comments of value not heard a lot and restores my faith that heavier spending will have a benefit.