High end stereo preamps? Worth it?

So we know the higher end preamps don’t include dacs and phono stages.  Highly desirable noise free devices.  I hear wonderful things about these preamps, Luxman, Accuphase, Audio Research, etc.

Are they as good as represented? 

emergingsoul
Hello emergingsole, I’ve been in this hobby coming on 30yrs and I’ve owned a ton of preamps, amps, speakers, cables, etc. So I’m coming from experience of buying a lot of components In search of great sound. Many time I’ve been swayed by reviewers and audiophiles along the way. At times a reviewer would give a component an excellent (A+) review, and rightfully so, the piece deserves it,  but in comparison to a better piece, I realized that the 1st A+ piece wasn’t as good as the reviewer claimed. Newer definitely does not mean it will be better. Anyone who says this doesn’t really understand this hobby.  I’m fortunate, that as I was owning many preamps throughout the years, I had hardcore “seasoned” audiophiles friends who helped me. I presently own 4 great preamps. To refer to one that I have now for about 8 yrs is a Audio Research SP11 Mk 11. This preamps is really a separator from the pack. It competes with stuff in the big $ range. I really didn’t want to mention a specific component because there are so many “reference” grade preamps other than the SP 11 that are floating around. The point is, you need to find the right one for you. Now in regards to the question, preamp or no preamp? I’ve found that a well designed preamp can compliment a system with dynamics and scale. But a “no preamp” setup works well for many that value purity and tonality. You decide what’s right for you. Best advice I can give, go to local audio club meetings. Make some new “seasoned” friends. 
@emergingsoul,

if you must have a preamp, look at a used Graaf 13.5b II. at least you‘ll have a balanced connection to the amp out of it. it still won‘t get you remote control, though.
i
Lowtubes,
thanks.

Sp11 mk11 looks great.  

My challenge is deciding between a McIntosh c1100 vs audio research ref 6se.  Thoughts are welcome.
Why have you pursued such a large volume of hardware? So much expertise, and great it’s being shared.  I am hoping to make this a final purchase and go into retirement from my pursuit of overpriced audio equipment, all links in my chain will be quite strong at this point. 
I actually do both - main system is a Benchmark DAC1 and Sonic Frontiers phono stage into a BAT VK51 SE (the 6H30 tube is remarkable!). Second system is a Benchmark DAC1 HDR directly into an Audible Allusions amp. The pre is important in my main system for buffering the phono stage. Overall, having the pre is better, and I only don't use one in the second system out of convenience.
Emergingsoul,
               Im not familiar with the Mac and AR preamps you mentioned above. I would seek out a online McIntosh community of owners and get their opinion on the c1100 and same for the Audio Research of community owners on their take for the ref 6se.                I’ve collected stuff throughout the yrs. I have a few of extremely well regarded preamps because I chose to pick up a few of the best picks from audiophile friends that they’ve heard.  Each one of my pre’s has its own unique character, but a thing that I have noticed that separates a reference preamp from a very good pre is the size of the presentation.  A truly reference preamp is gonna be EXTREMELY open to the point where one cannot detect its boundaries and it will throws a gigantic soundstage with great dynamics. So as you’re evaluating preamps, I would take note of its openness.  It should sound like there are no walls or boundaries to the presentation. This should not only be evaluated with loud playing or certain tracks, but most importantly the music should have absolutely no boundaries even at low level and this should be evident on all the different types music played.