Higher End DACs

I am looking for a DAC (potentially streamer&DAC) to be paired in a mcintosh system (c1100/611). Its my first foray into digital streaming and I have no need for a CD player.

I see a lot of love for Esoteric, however, most seems to be around their transports? Are they not as renowned for pure digital streaming and/or standalone DACs? I see DCS (for instance) often referenced for standalone DACs - how does Esoteric compare?
ufguy73
No one is recording that high native DSD, maybe 2X if your lucky. It also does not have Ethernet.

jwm913 posts
02-11-2020 6:59pm
It also does not have Ethernet.

What?! Are you talking about T+A SDV 3100 HV? It has Ethernet input. It's called "streaming DAC" --- it's right there in the name of the product
Just to have some other options, you could try the Bacch SP and see if you like it. It actually changes the sound to get a better stereo image. I attended a demo and it is a bit like magic. The Bacch SP ADIO has a dac and you can of course turn off the stereo effect.

https://www.theoretica.us/bacch-sp.html

There have been very few mentions of TotalDac here but they have some great dacs and usually gets very good reviews. I have only heard them at audio shows but they sounded great there.

Not sure I understand the T+A SDV can be configured with the preamp or without...or that you are essentially getting a ‘free’ preamp...

does the cost not vary based on the configuration?