Higher End DACs

I am looking for a DAC (potentially streamer&DAC) to be paired in a mcintosh system (c1100/611). Its my first foray into digital streaming and I have no need for a CD player.

I see a lot of love for Esoteric, however, most seems to be around their transports? Are they not as renowned for pure digital streaming and/or standalone DACs? I see DCS (for instance) often referenced for standalone DACs - how does Esoteric compare?
ufguy73
Streaming something like Tidal or Qobuz over the internet is one of the least CPU intense things you can do. Take the server away with the need for intense data base management and you could knock about 70 pounds off that 90 pound thing. It's  the same with roon if you have very few files for roon to manage you can run it on low end computer the database is what eats up memory and processor. 
i’m not in a position to debate the technical side of this. but my understanding is that when it comes to digital audio, local files, NAS sourced files, or streaming files, all have the same needs from a CPU. and our performance expectations should be the same too.

sure; you won’t find streaming 352-24 or 4xdsd files; but that is a small part of file listening anyway. my streaming includes plenty of high rez.
Streaming from the internet is not a CPU or memory intense application it can be done with a raspberry pi. I stream high resolution and don't even use a computer simply a streaming device with a Qualcomm chip in it. The database with all the metadata needs the memory and CPU power. If you don't use a server there is not really a need for a computer and actually I could stream from a NAS with what I use but the NAS is a type of computer. 
@mikelavigne   Mike, thank you so much for your response and the details you shared. As always, your contributions are informative and helpful.

When I'm ready, I'll reach out to Emile to see if he can configure the SGM for Roon only functionality. I'm asking Jord Groen of Pink Faun the same. However, losing the Roon Rendering function that both have devoted part of their design / build efforts to is a concern for me. Those are tradeoffs I need to resolve for myself.

Meanwhile I have mid level servers from Wolf Audio and Innuos inbound. They should offer insight into the level of difference(s) versus my current Roon server. These comparisons will also inform whether a major step up is warranted.
Difficult to overstate the improvement in sound quality of the Extreme - as a server or streamer. I debated for awhile whether to invest in a higher end DAC or the Extreme with my current ‘mid priced’ DAC. I am glad I went with the latter. Most significant component upgrade I have experienced.