Holographic DAC With Air And Decay

Like the title says what’s your vote for favorite Dac when it comes air, decay and three dimensional soundstage?  Looking at 3k or less used. I tend to prefer R2R and, or tubes.  I suppose I'm open to other options as long as it sounds smooth and refined. As always I look forward to all your input, thanks!  

brylandgoodman

Denafrips has certainly been "the" DAC for the last two or three years.

It might be fact of the sheer number of them in the field but there

always seems to be an abundance of used models for sale. I'm trying 

the Mhdt Orchid which is quite a pleasant listen.

This forum.....

When the pundits post "try ________" I am reminded of an Arby's sign advertising "try our new New York corn beef Reuben". 

The truth; it is not the role of a DAC, nor is it realistic to expect any DAC to provide holography, air, or decay. Those attributes come from two things-the recording and the loudspeakers. Everything in between can only screw it up. But add it? Nope. Btw, most DAC's do screw up decay due to the necessary time domain filtering. So if you don't want to SCREW UP decay, look for a non-filtering DAC. And remember, there are always compromises in the pursuit of recreating music in the home, regardless of price. 

As I preface, personally the R2Rs I have heard are too laid back.  Many like that  presentation.  To each our own.  That said, consider auditioning a used Wyred4Sound 10th Anniversary DAC or used Bricasti M3.  Read the pro reviews on the ability of these two units to reproduce imaging and sound staging.  More important to me is image density.  Both excel here.  In addition, both units are emotive, not sterile.  I use a 10th Anniversary in a high resolution system. I recently compared it head to head to the Bartok Apex, Mola Mola Tambaqui, and Bricasti M21 and M1. Note each system was different.  My process was to have a lengthy listen to my 10 Anniversary in their system, then their DAC, with the same set of recordings.  I also was able to compare the 3 Bricasti DACs in the same manner.  All of these DACs were better … better at detail retrieval, imaging, and staging, but not 2 to 5 times better in relationship to cost.  Where the 10th was competitive was image density or, in other words, organic palpability … and the quality of being emotive.   I am currently saving pennies to reach for a used Bricasti M21 or Tambaqui.  DCS is more sterile IMHO.  However, the 10th Anniversary and M3 will get you very close.   In conclusion, I recommend you aud a used 10th Anniversary or a used M3.  Good luck. 

Sorry, I did not address air and decay.  Both the 10th Anniversary and M3 have the ability to produce silent backgrounds.  Both are excellent at reproducing micro as well as macro dynamics.  Both are excellent at detail retrieval at their price point.  Air, ambience, secondary harmonics and decay are well reproduced if the recording engineer has done his job to record them.  Listen to any of the recordings from 2L, Stockfish, or simply put on Dire Straits On Every Street album.