Home theater without center channel? Opinions?

Due to holiday decorations and the wife's need to decorate the front of the room I decided to remove my B&W HTM-1 Center Channel for the time being.

I changed the settings in my Anthem D2 to "None" for center channel.

To my surprise it's really not that bad without the center channel in place.

I would love to hear feedback either way on whether I should eventually re-introduce the center channel back into the mix or just leave well enough alone.

Thanks in advance!
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtheaudioassociation
Depending on your setup, your seating arrangement, etc, results will vary. What is usually sacrificed is an anchored center image from dialog and such, as you sit off-center. This may or may not be a problem, depending - like I said...it's variables.
I think the majority of the time, unless you are a single listener, the center will anchor things, and give a more solid presentation in most situations.
Still, there are those die-hard audiophiles that simply want this setup to be better, for bias reasons I find. That said, I myself have put together some rather good sounding higher end 2.1 channel setups. So I do know it can sound good when done right. It's still mostly just the shifty dialog problem thingy mostly.
To my surprise it's really not that bad without the center channel in place.

Unless you have a center that matches your mains exactly and is placed at the same height then then phantom center is probably slightly better for a small sweetspot area. Center is really only needed for off axis listeners.
In a smaller sized rooms… 14 x 20 or less, and IF your setup allows for a Ghost or Phantom center ch, it’s a matter of taste. IMO. I use one now matched to my mains and rear/surrounds in a 5.1 config.

Having just such a room size more or less, I’ve done each setup, from 2.1 and up, to 5.1, with and without a center ch speaker. I do prefer a center ch speaker if I have a choice. Primarily for the added dimension and greater distinctiveness derived from it.

What bugs me more so than no center ch is how 7.1 processors (the current rage) work as 5.1 systems. They don’t seem to have the same discrete/separated ch info, and more so seem to react as merely an older pro logic – or surround sound field that has much less integral or distinctively differing ch info.

I’ll be adding some dipole surrounds to my own rig asap and move my surrounds to be either actual rears, or vice versa. It’s like you lose the rear of the sound field a lot more often setting surrounds towards the rear of the room sans actual surrounds…. The pity here is this is not made mention of during any reviews I’ve seen on such receivers and processors. With DVDs this isn’t as large an item, yet it doesn’t go without notice for sure. Consequently I am forced to switch about thru the available sound fields while viewing pretty often… DD, DTS, Neo six, etc.to attain a more satisfactorily dispersed field.

Also, having one available for use, I’d use it for sure. Not having one though, the price tag for such a matched unit in the past prevented me from getting one. I wasn’t disappointed greatly by not owning one then either.

I guess I’m saying we can be happy and have a nice array either way, with or without the center speaker, but I’d not sell it if it was a matched unit, and on hand now.
"What bugs me more so than no center ch is how 7.1 processors (the current rage) work as 5.1 systems. They don’t seem to have the same discrete/separated ch info, and more so seem to react as merely an older pro logic – or surround sound field that has much less integral or distinctively differing ch info." --Blindjim

Really? That's interesting... I'm using my Onkyo 7.1 receiver with 5 speakers and a subwoofer and have had no such problem. I would say that it's sonically better in every way (except simplicity of use) than the Sherwood 5.1 receiver it replaced using all the same speakers and wiring.

You're not using your "side surround channels" as the "back surround channels" are you? What you're saying about the lack of dimensionality doesn't make sense to me.
"Due to holiday decorations" If you find it wasn't that bad then it'd be OK for temporary. Put it back when the Holiday is over.